Puff pastry parmesan cheese straws are the perfect cocktail party appetizer or an easy bread to whip up for dinner.
Flaky, puff pastry sprinkled with parmesan cheese, gruyere cheese, garlic, and herbs! You just can’t go wrong with this quick and easy appetizer!
Why You’ll Love These
- They are crispy puff pastry filled with Parmesan and gruyere cheese that adds a nutty flavor.
- Easy to make and perfect for parties or just cocktails at home.
- Puff pastry – Puff pastry is found in the freezer section of most grocery stores. Thaw it according to the package instructions. It’s usually best to thaw in the refrigerator.
- Cheeses – We are using parmesan and gruyere cheeses in these puff pastry straws. Grate the parmesan yourself. Use the grating side of the cheese grater. Not the shredded holes. Don’t use the stuff in the green can.
- Seasoning – We use Italian seasoning and garlic powder. You can use fresh herbs too. You can switch up the seasonings too. The cheese is salty enough so there is no need to add additional salt and pepper.
- Keep the pastry cold. If it starts to get warm and hard to work with place it back in the fridge for about 10 minutes.
- Using parchment paper will make it easier to transfer to the refrigerator if needed.
- Sprinkle both sides of the dough lightly with flour so it won’t stick.
How to Make Puff Pastry Cheese Straws
So, so simple!
Preheat the oven to 400F degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a small bowl whisk the melted butter and garlic powder.
In another small bowl whisk together the Parmesan, Gruyere, and Italian seasoning.
With a rolling pin roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface to approximately a 10×12 inch square.
Brush the melted butter mixture evenly over the entire puff pastry. Evenly sprinkle the grated cheese and herb mixture.
With a knife or pizza cutter slice the dough into long 1/2″ strips.
One strip at a time, pick up the cheese straw strip and twist both ends in an opposite direction until the strip is completely spiraled. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Slightly press the ends onto parchment paper to prevent any untwisting. Repeat with remaining strips spacing 1″ on the baking sheet.
Bake for 10 minutes or until lightly brown and puffed.
Let cool for about 5 minutes and serve these cheese straws with our favorite Jamaican Me Crazy cocktail.
With very few ingredients you can turn store-bought puff pastry into highly addictive, crispy cheese straws.
Great for a party, dinner guests, or just a weeknight dinner with the family!
You can prepare the puff pastry cheese twist as directed. Place the unbaked sticks on the parchment-lined baking sheet, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate them for up to 3 days. Bake as directed.
Bake until golden brown and light and crispy. Let them cool a bit after baking, the cheese will harden for a crispy texture.
These puff pastry straws are best served fresh, within 1-2 hours of baking. Refrigerate any leftovers in an air-tight container for up to 3 days. Reheat in a 350-degree oven for about 5 minutes to crisp up again.
More Delicious Recipes
- Soft and Chewy Pretzel Recipe
- Sausage Pretzel Bites
- Savory Parmesan Rosemary Shortbread
- Spicy Seasoned Oyster Crackers
Puff Pastry Parmesan Cheese Straws Recipe
- 1 sheet puff pastry (store-bought)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated fine
- 1/4 cup Gruyere cheese, grated fine
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 400F degrees. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl combine the melted butter and garlic powder. In another small bowl whisk the Parmesan cheese, Gruyere cheese, and Italian seasoning.
- Roll out pastry on a lightly floured surface to approximately a 10×12 inch square.
- Brush on the melted butter mixture to the edges of the pastry. Sprinkle the cheese and herb mixture evenly over puffed pastry.
- Cut crosswise into 1/2″ inch strips. Carefully twist the strips and place on the baking sheet pressing slightly on the ends to prevent untwisting. Scrape up any additional cheese and seasoning and sprinkle over twists.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, watching carefully not to burn. Let cool about 5 minutes and serve immediately.