Easy Spinach Dip recipe without the dry packaged soup mix!
We have been making spinach dip for years using the dry soup mix. I wanted to make a spinach dip from scratch without all the preservatives. This is what I came up with and it’s even BETTER! You will never use the soup mix again.
A cold, creamy, flavorful spinach dip to wow your friends and family! This easy appetizer comes together in just minutes.
Why You’ll Love This
- This creamy spinach dip recipe used fresh and staple kitchen ingredients. No packet mix.
- Simple to make.
- It’s a classic crowd-pleasing cold spinach dip to serve at any party!
- Creamy base – Mayonnaise and sour cream are the main ingredients in a creamy dip.
- Spinach – We are using frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained well. If using fresh spinach, cook it down, squeeze it dry, and chop it if necessary.
- Seasoning – We use a mix of onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, lemon juice, Worcestershire, salt, and black pepper.
You can try adding in some of the items below to change up the flavor.
- Fresh jalapenos – Seeded and diced.
- Artichokes – Chopped.
- Red bell peppers – Chopped.
- I use 2 10-ounce packages of frozen chopped spinach. Thawed and squeezed dry. Use a paper towel to help squeeze the water out.
- If you have time you can thaw in a colander. Otherwise, microwave at half power to defrost without cooking the spinach.
- You can also use 20 ounces of fresh baby spinach. If using fresh baby spinach, remove the stems and chop or tear them into small pieces. Combine the spinach and 2 tablespoons of water in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on high for 45-60 seconds or until wilted; drain. Cool and squeeze dry.
- You can lighten it up by using nonfat plain Greek yogurt. Or use low-fat sour cream and mayo. Just note the texture won’t be as thick and creamy as with full-fat options.
How to Make Easy Spinach Dip Recipe
Grate the carrots and give them a rough chop. You want small pieces of carrot, not long shreds.
Drain and finely dice the water chestnuts. Finely dice the green onions.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, Worcestershire sauce, fresh lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
To the mayonnaise mixture add the spinach, green onions, carrots, and water chestnuts stir to combine thoroughly.
Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
Make it even prettier by serving it in a bread bowl. Use a large round sturdy bread. You want it to hold up to the dip being placed in the center.
Or if you are having a dinner party, try serving in dinner rolls for a single serving option.
What to Serve it With
- If you’re wondering what kind of chips to serve with this dip, you can try our quick and delicious pita chips. These are super good and super quick!
- Bagel chips, bread cubes, pretzel chips, or crackers.
- Keep it low carb/keto and served with slice vegetables or low carb crackers or bread.
This party dip is perfect for gatherings, game day events, holidays, etc!
This easy spinach dip is a great appetizer to make ahead. It will last about 3 days in the refrigerator but I recommend only making it one day ahead to maintain the fresh flavor.
Store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
We don’t recommend freezing this dip. Mayonnaise and sour cream don’t freeze well and tend to become watery and separate.
More Dip Recipes
Easy Spinach Dip Recipe (without soup mix)
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (or more to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 green onions, finely diced
- 1 8- ounce can sliced water chestnuts drained and finely diced
- 2 10- ounce packages frozen chopped spinach thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/2 cup carrots shredded and chopped
- In a large bowl, add the mayonnaise, sour cream, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Whisk to combine well.
- Add the green onions, water chestnuts, carrots, and spinach to the bowl. Stir to combine thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving to allow the flavors to combine.
- Serve in a sourdough bread bowl with cubes of bread, crackers or carrot and celery sticks.