Oven-baked chicken wings can be extra crispy just like fried!
As you know, I don’t like to fry foods very often. We have always baked or grilled our chicken wings. I came across this blog post and it has changed the way we bake them forever.
Toss the wings with BAKING POWDER! Which also makes them gluten-free.
Who knew, right? The baking powder mixed with salt dries out the skin leaving it crispy and crunchy. I’m all in, no more deep-frying! Game day here we come.
Try our popular Strawberry Shortcake!
Crispy Oven Baked Chicken Wings
Just look at these crispy wings! Preheat oven to 250°F.
This technique is really simple. Toss the dry wings with baking powder and salt.
Place a rack onto a large rimmed baking sheet and spray with non-stick oil. Place the wings in a single layer on the rack.
Make clean up easy on yourself by wrapping the baking sheet in foil, then spraying the rack with oil.
Bake them on a low temp to render the fat for 30 minutes then crank up the heat and bake another 40-50 minutes. Golden, crispy, crunchy chicken wings!
Update: Some readers are saying it takes them longer to crisp the wings so cook to your desired crispiness. Cooking times will vary, all ovens are not the same.
For the buffalo sauce: Combine hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and butter in a small saucepan. Simmer over medium-low heat for 20 minutes.
Place the cooked wings in a large bowl and toss them with the buffalo wing sauce and serve with your favorite dipping sauce. Mine is blue cheese!
No more deep fryer or vegetable oil needed! Yay!
If you’re a true fan of chicken wings, you have to check out our other delicious chicken wings recipes like our amazing smoked wings recipe.
Crispy Baked Chicken Wings Recipe
Oven Baked Chicken Wings
- 3 lbs chicken wings
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder (NOT BAKING SODA / BI-CARB SODA)
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- Oil spray
For the sauce:
- 12 oz Hot Sauce (Louisiana)
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 250°F.
- Place a rack onto a large baking sheet and spray with non-stick oil.
- In a large bowl, toss the wings with the baking powder and salt. Place wings on the rack in a single layer and bake for 30 minutes.
- After the first 30 minutes, raise the heat to 425°F and bake until brown and crispy, 40-50 minutes.
- For the Sauce:
- Combine hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and butter in a small saucepan. Simmer over medium-low heat for 20 minutes.
- Remove the wings from the oven, toss with the sauce to coat and serve.