Oven-baked chicken wings can be extra crispy just like fried!
Why You’ll Love These
As you know, I don’t like to fry food very often. We have always baked or grilled our chicken wings. I came across this blog post, and it has changed the way we bake them forever.
Toss the wings with BAKING POWDER! Which also makes them gluten-free.
Who knew, right? The baking powder mixed with salt dries out the skin leaving it crispy and crunchy. I’m all in; no more deep-frying! Game day, here we come.
You will only need four ingredients! Plus, a sauce of your choice.
Why Baking Powder
Baking powder is a mixture of sodium bicarbonate, cream of tartar, and cornstarch. When you mix the baking powder with salt and toss it with the chicken wings, it dries out the skin.
The baking powder raises the pH level of the chicken, allowing the peptide bonds in the skin to break down. Achieving a crispy skin!
Some people are sensitive to the flavor of baking powder. Some brands contain sodium aluminum sulfate, which can cause a bitter taste to some people. Try an aluminum-free brand to see if that helps with the bitter taste.
How to Cut Chicken Wings
I like to save time and effort, so I purchase wings that have already been separated into the wingette and drumette. But if you use whole wings, here’s how to cut them.
Bend the wings back at the less fleshy part where the drummette meets the wingette. Use a sharp knife or kitchen shears to cut through the joint.
Bend the wingette and the tip back at the same joint and cut through the joint.
How to Make Crispy Oven Baked Chicken Wings
Just look at these crispy wings! Preheat oven to 250°F.
Pat the wings dry with paper towels. You want to remove as much moisture as possible.
This technique is really simple. Toss the dry wings with baking powder and salt.
Place a rack onto a large rimmed baking sheet and spray with non-stick oil. Place the wings in a single layer on the rack.
Make clean up easy on yourself by wrapping the baking sheet in foil, then spraying the rack with oil.
Bake them at a low temp to render the fat for 30 minutes, then crank up the heat and bake for another 40-50 minutes. Golden brown and crispy chicken wings!
Some readers say it takes them longer to crisp the wings, so cook to your desired crispiness. Cooking times will vary, and all ovens are not the same.
For the buffalo sauce: Combine hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and butter in a small saucepan. Simmer over medium-low heat for 20 minutes.
Place the cooked wings in a large bowl, toss them with the buffalo wing sauce, and serve.
No more deep fryer or vegetable oil is needed! Yay! Just bake the chicken wings in the oven.
If you’re a true fan of chicken wings, you have to check out our other delicious chicken wings recipes, like our amazing smoked wings recipe.
What to Serve with Chicken Wings
We like celery sticks, carrots sticks, bell pepper slices, or cucumber slices with these crispy baked chicken wings.
- Purchase wings that already have the wingettes and drumettes separated to save time.
- Add any spices you like to the baking powder. Like garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, lemon pepper, black pepper, etc.
- Use a barbecue rub. Or any pre-mixed seasoning rubs you wish.
- Line the baking pan for easy cleanup!
- Be sure to place the chicken wings on a baking rack before cooking. This helps the heat to circulate all the way around the wings.
- Don’t crowd the rack. Again, so the air can circulate around each wing.
- They don’t have to be buffalo chicken wings. Choose your favorite sauce, such as BBQ, honey bbq, Asian bbq, sweet chili sauce, etc.
This oven method for chicken wings will cook for about 1 hour and 20 minutes.
They will be crispy and golden brown. To be further assured, check the internal temperature in the thickest part of the meat using a digital thermometer. The temperature should be 165 degrees F.
Of course! This is a healthier, easier, and less messy way of cooking chicken wings. I prefer this method. I don’t like to fry food and I prefer chicken wings without breading.
You toss them in baking powder (NOT baking soda) and seasonings, place them on a wire rack and bake at 425 degrees for 40-50 minutes.
These wings are best served fresh. But if you have leftovers, let the wings cool completely, place them in an airtight container or bag, and refrigerate for up to 4 days. Reheat in a 400-degree F oven until warmed through and sizzling about 15 to 20 minutes.
Oven Baked Chicken Wings Recipe
- 3 lbs chicken wings patted dry
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder (NOT BAKING SODA / BI-CARB SODA)
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- Oil spray
For the sauce:
- 12 oz Hot Sauce (Louisiana)
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 250°F.
- Place a rack onto a large baking sheet and spray with non-stick oil.Oil spray
- In a large bowl, toss the wings with the baking powder and salt. Place wings on the rack in a single layer and bake for 30 minutes.3 lbs chicken wings, 1 Tablespoon baking powder, ¾ teaspoon salt
- After the first 30 minutes, raise the heat to 425°F and bake until brown and crispy, 40-50 minutes.
- Combine hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and butter in a small saucepan. Simmer over medium-low heat for 20 minutes.12 oz Hot Sauce, 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, 2 Tablespoons butter
- Remove the wings from the oven, toss with the sauce to coat and serve.