This blue cheese dressing is creamy, tangy, thick, chunky, and amazing! It can be whipped up in less than 5 minutes. Really, it’s that easy.
Why You’ll Love This
Once you try this dressing you will never purchase bottled again. I promise.
This easy blue cheese dressing comes together in a jiffy!
The best blue cheese dressing recipe you will ever make.
Making salad dressing at home is simple and tastes way better than store bought.
What You’ll Need
No special equipment is required. For a complete list of ingredients and instructions, see the recipe card below.
- Blue cheese crumbles – Blue cheese comes in both crumbles and blocks at most grocery stores. If you can only find the block of blue cheese, just crumble it by breaking it apart with a fork.
- Buttermilk – Adds extra tanginess to the dressing.
- Mayonnaise and Sour Cream – We highly recommend the full-fat versions but low-fat works too. It just won’t be as rich and creamy tasting.
- Worcestershire Sauce and White Vinegar – Adding acid to most recipes brighten and enhances the flavors.
- Seasonings – Garlic powder, salt, and black pepper.
How to Make Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing
Add 1/2 the blue cheese crumbles and the buttermilk in a small bowl. Mash with the tines of a fork until it resembles large cottage cheese curds.
Add mayonnaise, sour cream, Worcestershire, white wine vinegar, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and remaining crumbled blue cheese. Stir to combine.
Pour into your container and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. This dressing needs time for the flavors to combine.
That’s it. I told you, just 5 minutes to prepare.
How to Serve Blue Cheese Dressing
This homemade blue cheese dressing recipe is perfect as a dipping sauce for vegetables like carrots and celery. Don’t forget buffalo wings.
It’s also a tasty salad dressing for wedge salads and loads more.
Use it to top steaks, burgers, or baked potatoes.
- Stilton and Roquefort blue cheese are both on the strong flavor side. Choose one of these in the dressing if you want a more robust flavor.
- Gorgonzola has a milder flavor and is creamier in texture. Choose this one if you like a milder blue cheese flavor.
- The type of blue cheese is a personal preference, so choose your favorite blue cheese for this recipe.
- If you don’t want chunks of cheese in the dressing, mash all of the blue cheese completely. Or you could throw all the ingredients in a food processor or blender to thoroughly blend until creamy.
- This dressing gets better with time. Be sure to allow the flavors to combine.
- You could also try adding a little fresh lemon juice. Toss in some chopped fresh herbs like parsley or thyme.
- If it’s too thick for your liking, add some more buttermilk to thin it out. I prefer it thick.
Place the blue cheese dressing in a jar with a tight fitting lid and refrigerate for up to one week.
More Salad Dressing Recipes
Blue Cheese Dressing Recipe
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 5 oz blue cheese or Gorgonzola crumbles
- In a medium bowl, combine 1/2 of the cheese crumbles and buttermilk. Mash with a fork until combined and it resembles large curd cottage cheese.1/3 cup buttermilk, 5 oz blue cheese or Gorgonzola crumbles
- Add mayonnaise, sour cream, Worcestershire, white wine vinegar, garlic powder, salt, fresh ground black pepper and remaining blue cheese crumbles.1/2 cup mayonnaise, 1/2 cup sour cream, 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste, 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- Stir to well to combine.
- Store in a tight sealing mason jar or other container and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.