Homemade Greek salad can be on the dinner table in 10 minutes.
I’m always disappointed when I order a Greek salad at a restaurant. Usually overdressed, limp and flavorless. We now make it at home and it’s 100 times better than any restaurant salad!
Homemade Greek Salad
- Extra virgin olive oil – Use a good quality olive oil.
- Red wine vinegar and fresh lemon juice – Gives the dressing a tangy flavor.
- Fresh garlic cloves- We leave them whole but smashed and allow it to flavor the olive oil for a while. But if you like use minced garlic.
- Dried oregano, kosher salt, and black pepper – Give the dressing its classic Greek flavor.
- Romaine lettuce, grape tomatoes, cucumbers, kalamata olives, red onion, feta cheese, and pepperoncini peppers – These ingredients are for the salad.
How to Make a Greek Salad Dressing
Seriously, on your table in no time flat!
First, make the dressing so the flavors can combine while you prep the salad ingredients.
In a small bowl or jar with a lid add the olive oil, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper. Whisk or shake the jar and set it aside.
It’s best to keep the dressing in the refrigerator. But because of the olive oil, it will solidify. So remove it from the fridge and allow it to come to room temperature. Or if you didn’t remember to remove it soon enough, set the glass container in a bowl of warm water.
If you want to make it a creamy dressing you can add 2 to 3 tablespoons of greek yogurt. You may need to adjust the salt to taste.
Add some grilled chicken or shrimp and make it a protein-packed meal.
I prefer to make individual bowls for my family. This way everyone receives extra of what they like and none of what they don’t like. Also, everyone can control the amount of dressing. No one likes a drenched and soggy salad.
Chilling the salad bowls helps keep the fresh salad greens cold and crisp.
How to Make this Greek Salad Recipe
Roughly chop the romaine lettuce, thinly slice the onions and cucumbers, and slice the grape tomatoes in half.
In the bowl combine the romaine lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, red onion, kalamata olives, feta cheese, and pepperoncini peppers.
Dress the salad, season with salt and pepper if necessary, serve and enjoy!
We made this our meal with skillet bread on the side but it can certainly be a nice side dish.
You will love this salad, I promise! It’s the best Greek salad dressing I’ve ever eaten.
More Delicious Recipes
- Greek Pasta Salad Recipe
- Cucumber Radish Salad
- Arugula Fennel Salad
- Arugula Fennel Salad
- Southwest Grilled Chicken Salad
Homemade Greek Salad Recipe
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed with side of your knife then peeled
- 2 tsp. dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 large bunch romaine lettuce
- 4 oz grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 large cucumber
- 1/2 medium red onion
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives, halved
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, diced or crumbled
- 4 pepperoncini peppers
- For the Dressing:
- Combine all the ingredients in a small, air-tight jar and shake well to mix. Set aside.
- For the Salad:
- Roughly chop the romaine lettuce and toss it into a large bowl. (I like to chill my bowl)
- Slice the grape tomatoes in half and add it to the bowl with the lettuce, then half the cucumber and slice thinly, add to the bowl.
- Slice the onion into thin rings, then quarter, separating the layers before adding to the rest of the salad.
- Slice the olives in half, dice or crumble feta cheese, add to the salad.
- Pour the desired amount of the dressing over the salad and gently toss all the ingredients together and serve immediately.