Baked whole Red Snapper is a heart-healthy, simple but delicious dish that’s great for a weeknight meal or dinner party.
Deliciously seasoned with citrus and herbs this red snapper recipe is on the table in minutes! Easy and healthy.
Try our Quick and Easy Ceviche recipe!
What is Red Snapper
Red Snapper is a lean firm-textured fish. A slightly sweet, mild flavor that lends itself very well to fresh herbs and spices.
How to Buy Fresh Red Snapper
Look for clear eyes, not cloudy.
Firm, shiny flesh that’s not slimy.
Pink, or red gills that are not dry.
Most of all “the smell test”! If it smells too fishy, and not fresh move on.
Cooking a whole fish can be intimidating, but once you realize how simple it is you will do it every week.
Baked Whole Red Snapper
Preheat oven to 425º degrees F. You are basically roasting at high heat, which lends crispy skin and moist tender flesh.
Prepare a large rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and parchment paper. You can use parchment paper only, but I use both for ease of clean up.
Brush 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil on the parchment paper and set aside.
In a small bowl whisk together the remaining olive oil, white wine vinegar, garlic, and parsley.
Pat the fish dry with paper towels then lay them on the parchment paper.
Sprinkle the salt and pepper evenly over both fish and inside the cavities.
Our Spicy Shrimp Sushi Stack recipe is great during those hot summer days!
Spread half of the oil and vinegar mixture inside the cavities of the fish.
Lay the lemon slices and fresh dill sprigs along the inside of the cavities.
Brush the remaining oil mixture over the top of both fish.
Place the fish in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until it reaches an internal temperature of 145°F and flakes easily with a fork. Cooking time can vary according to the size of each fish.
Check out our Pan-Seared Salmon Salad recipe!
Squeezing the remaining lemon juice over the fish and serve.
See, roasting a whole fish is ridiculously easy! Don’t wait, try it immediately.
Roasted or Baked Whole Red Snapper Recipe
Baked Whole Red Snapper Recipe
- 2½ lbs red snapper whole (scaled and cleaned)
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 lemons (fresh) 1 thinly sliced lemon & 1 for garnish
- 4 sprigs fresh dill
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper fresh ground
- 1/3 cup parsley fresh, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil divided (1 tablespoon for the baking pan)
- Pre-heat the oven to 425 ºF.nLine a baking sheet with aluminum foil and parchment paper. Brush 1 tbs of olive oil on the parchment paper.
- Pat the fish dry with paper towels. Place the fish on the baking sheet. Sprinkle the salt and pepper evenly on the outside of the fish and inside the cavity.
- In a small bowl whisk together the vinegar, olive oil, garlic, and parsley. Spoon 1/2 of the oil and vinegar mixture into the fish cavities.
- Lay the lemon slices and fresh dill sprigs along the inside of the cavities. Pour the remaining oil and vinegar mixture over both fish evenly.
- Place the fish in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until it reaches an internal temperature of 145°F and flakes easily with a fork. Cooking time can vary according to the size of each fish.
- Squeezing the remaining lemon juice over the fish ( if desired) and serve.