This blue cheese wedge salad is crisp, refreshing, and the perfect light lunch or dinner. Tangy homemade blue cheese dressing, crunchy bacon, fresh tomatoes, and crispy iceberg lettuce!
Why You’ll Love This
I think a homemade blue cheese wedge salad is the easiest salad to prepare. It takes a lot less prepping than your typical chopped salad.
This wedge salad recipe is easy to make at home with very simple ingredients. Cool, crisp, and refreshing side or main dish that’s a steakhouse classic.
Making your own blue cheese dressing is required for this salad. Don’t even bother with the bottled stuff.
It’s so easy to whip up that you may make it all the time instead of buying it at the store.
- Iceberg Lettuce – Fresh, extra crisp Iceberg lettuce is the traditional lettuce used for wedge salads. But don’t be afraid to use wedges of romaine lettuce if desired.
- Blue Cheese Salad Dressing – Make our homemade blue cheese dressing for the best quality and taste! You will need blue cheese crumbles, buttermilk, mayonnaise, sour cream, Worcestershire sauce, white wine vinegar, garlic powder, kosher salt, and fresh ground black pepper. Save some blue cheese crumbles to sprinkle over the top of the salads as well.
- Bacon – I highly recommend frying the bacon yourself, but you can substitute bagged real bacon crumbles in a pinch.
- Toppings – Diced green onions, diced tomatoes, and the blue cheese crumbles.
How to Make Blue Cheese Wedge Salad
In a small bowl, whip up the creamy blue cheese dressing and let it sit in the fridge for a few hours. Here’s the recipe: Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing.
How to Cut Iceberg Lettuce
Core the head of lettuce, remove any limp outer leaves, and wash and dry the lettuce well.
Cut the head of Iceberg lettuce in half, then cut each half in half. You can stop there for four large pieces or cut those in half again for eight smaller wedges.
Crumble the bacon, and cut the tomatoes and green onions.
Plate the iceberg lettuce wedges, sprinkle with the bacon crumbles, tomatoes, and onions, and drizzle with the blue cheese dressing.
Season with a few cranks of freshly ground black pepper.
For an extra kick, add a few blue cheese crumbles if desired.
- Make the dressing ahead for the best flavor.
- Choose your favorite toppings, such as chives, red onion, cucumbers, avocado, hard-boiled eggs, fried onion strings, and even croutons.
- I used Roma tomatoes, but you can use cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes.
- Make this classic wedge salad recipe a main by adding diced chicken or steak.
- To wash the lettuce, cut the wedges, run cold water over them, separate the leaves gently to remove any debris, and drain them well on clean kitchen towels or paper towels.
We eat this classic iceberg wedge salad as a main dish or a side. It goes well as a perfect side dish with most proteins such as steak, chicken, or pork. Serve it with your favorite soup.
Store in an air-tight container or jar in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
More Salad Recipes
Blue Cheese Wedge Salad Recipe
For the salad:
- 1 head Iceberg lettuce, cored
- 4 strips Bacon cooked, cooled, and crumbled
- 3 – 4 medium Tomatoes, cut into wedges (I used Roma)
- 4 Green onions, diced (green tops only)
For the dressing:
- Make dressing according to instructions, refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing
- Remove any limp outer leaves of the lettuce head, core, wash and let drain/dry.1 head Iceberg lettuce, cored
- Cut the lettuce in half, then cut each half into quartered wedges.
- Place each wedge on a plate, drizzle with the blue cheese dressing, top with a few crumbles of bacon, a sprinkling of green onions and reserved blue cheese chunks.4 strips Bacon, 3 – 4 medium Tomatoes, cut into wedges, 4 Green onions, diced
- Add a few wedges of tomato on the side.
- Grind fresh ground black pepper over the top, if desired.