I think a homemade blue cheese wedge salad is the easiest salad to prepare. A lot less prepping than your typical chopped salad.
It’s crisp, refreshing, and the perfect light lunch or dinner.
Who doesn’t like to eat a wedge salad? I remember first having this salad at our local Outback restaurant. We knew we had to create it at home.
Making your own blue cheese dressing is required for this salad. Don’t even bother with the bottled stuff. Nope, don’t even entertain the idea.
It’s so easy to whip up that you may make it all the time instead of buying it at the store.
Why You’ll Love This
This wedge salad recipe is easy to make at home with very simple ingredients. Cool, crisp, and refreshing side or main dish.
You can top the wedge salad with crumbled bacon, diced green onions, diced tomatoes, and blue cheese crumbles. Some other toppings are chives, cucumbers, avocado, and croutons.
Make this classic wedge salad recipe a main by adding diced chicken or steak.
How to Make Blue Cheese Wedge Salad
In a small bowl, whip up the salad dressing and let it sit in the fridge for a few hours. Here’s the recipe: Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing.
How to Cut Lettuce
Core the head of lettuce, remove any limp outer leaves, wash it, and dry. Slice the head of lettuce in half, then cut each half in half. You can stop there for 4 large pieces, or cut those in half again for 8 smaller wedges.
Crumble the bacon, and cut the tomatoes and green onions.
Plate the iceberg lettuce wedges, sprinkle with the bacon crumbles, tomatoes, and onions, and drizzle with the blue cheese dressing. Season with a few cranks of freshly ground black pepper.
For an extra kick, add a few blue cheese crumbles if desired.
We eat this classic iceberg wedge salad as a main dish or a side dish. It goes well with most proteins such as steak, chicken, or pork. Serve it with your favorite soup.
Store in an air-tight container or jar in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
More Salad Recipes
- Arugula Fennel Salad
- Southwest Grilled Chicken Salad
- Pan-Seared Salmon Salad with Lemon Dijon Vinaigrette
- Spinach Salad with Curry Mustard Vinaigrette
Blue Cheese Wedge Salad Recipe
For the salad:
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, cored
- 4 strips bacon, cooked, cooled and crumbled
- 3 – 4 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges (I used Roma)
- 4 green onions, diced (green tops only)
For the dressing:
- Make dressing according to instructions, refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
- Remove any limp outer leaves of the lettuce head, core, wash and let drain/dry.
- Cut the lettuce in half, then cut each half into quartered wedges.
- Place each wedge on a plate, drizzle with the blue cheese dressing, top with a few crumbles of bacon, a sprinkling of green onions and reserved blue cheese chunks.
- Add a few wedges of tomato on the side.
- Grind fresh ground black pepper over the top, if desired.