A savory chicken salad is the only chicken salad my family will eat. No fruit, no nuts!
We are not fans of the typically sweet, fruity, nutty chicken salad. Nor do we like boiled eggs and sweet pickle relish in our chicken salad.
So I’ve always just made my own version.
The crunch in our savory chicken salad comes from celery. If you’re not a celery fan then this chicken salad is not for you.
With that said, I am supremely confident if you give this easy chicken salad recipe a whirl.
You won’t be disappointed, and man, it makes a great chicken salad sandwich!
How To Make Chicken Salad Video
How To Make A Savory Chicken Salad
Debone a whole cooked chicken. Store-bought rotisserie chicken is perfect for this chicken salad.
Or make this Slow Cooker Roasted Chicken. You can also poach or roast a couple of chicken breasts.
I despise shredding meat. The easiest way I’ve found to shred chicken is with an electric mixer.
In a large bowl, combine the chicken, celery, mayo, black pepper, salt, celery salt, dried dill, and dried parsley.
Cover and refrigerate at least one hour.
Serve on your favorite sandwich bread, crackers or just a bed of lettuce.
If you’re like us and prefer a less sweet chicken salad you are going to love this great recipe.
This makes a perfect chicken salad sandwich and is a great addition to all of your chicken salad recipes.
UPDATE: Several readers stated this is too salty.
I just made this with 1/2 teaspoon celery salt and 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt. When I asked my husband what he thought he said: “It needs salt”.
So start with 1/2 the celery salt and kosher salt called for in the recipe and then adjust to your taste.
Also, this recipe uses kosher salt, not table salt. There is a difference. A teaspoon of flaky kosher salt delivers less salty flavor than a teaspoon of table salt, which is more compact.
Savory Chicken Salad Recipe
Savory Chicken Salad
- 3 cups chicken, chopped or minced
- 3/4 cup celery, diced small
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley optional
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- In the bowl of a food processor add a mix of breast and thigh meat, pulse a few times until the meat is chopped fine.
- Measure 3 cups of chopped chicken into a large bowl. Add the finely chopped celery. If desired add 2 or 3 diced green onions.
- In a small bowl combine the mayonnaise, celery salt, dried dill, dried parsley, kosher salt, and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the chicken and celery and stir to combine thoroughly.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour.