Savory carrot salad is a great addition to any meal but it’s perfect for a BBQ.
I don’t particularly like sweet grated carrot salads, you know the ones with raisins, and neither does my daughter. As a matter of fact, she doesn’t like raisins at all. So I try to avoid using them in our recipes.
I wanted something different for our side dishes to go with our barbecued chicken and this was perfect. Even my husband ate it and sang my praises. He is not a vegetable person. Don’t even try to get him to eat a brussel sprout, it will NOT happen. My daughter on the other hand absolutely LOVES roasted brussels sprouts. I know, I’m just as surprised as you, but she has never been a picky eater.
What is French Carrot Salad?
This raw shredded carrot salad (salade de carottes râpées) is very popular in France. It’s served alongside almost everything and even sold pre-packaged in markets.
Ingredients for Savory Carrot Salad Recipe
This salad is made with simple ingredients that when combined give it a complex flavor.
- Fresh raw carrots – Shredded
- Vegetable oil, olive oil, Dijon mustard, honey, salt, and black pepper – Basic vinaigrette.
- Fresh parsley and green onions
Best Way to Shred Carrots
If you have a food processor you can whip this dish up in about 10 minutes. It’s that easy and you probably already have all the ingredients in your kitchen. Or you can grate them on the large holes of a box grater.
How to Make Carrot Salad
Just grate the carrots in the food processor. Transfer the shredded carrots to a serving bowl.
To prepare the salad dressing. In a small bowl combine the Dijon mustard, lemon juice, honey, vegetable oil, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
Chop the parsley, toss it in with the carrots and pour the dressing over and mix thoroughly.
Voila! Your side dish or lunch salad is done. Refrigerate it for at least 30 minutes, then it is ready to serve.
- If you make this recipe ahead of time check the seasoning before serving. You can add more dressing ingredients if you like. A hit of more lemon juice, salt, or pepper. Just don’t overdress. It should not be swimming in the dressing, just coated.
- This salad is best served immediately. The carrots will start to lose moisture and become limp.
More Salad Recipes
- Cucumber Radish Salad
- Arugula Fennel Salad
- Fresh Tomato Mozzarella Salad
- Roasted Green Beans and Mushrooms
French Carrot Salad Recipe
- 1 pound carrots peeled
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice from one lemon
- 1-1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1-2 teaspoons honey depends on the sweetness of the carrots
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 finely sliced green onions
- Grate the carrots in a food processor and transfer to a salad bowl. Add the parsley.
- In a small bowl combine the Dijon mustard, lemon juice, honey, vegetable oil, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the carrot mixture and toss well. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Recipe from onceuponachef