Fresh Tomato Mozzarella Salad
This fresh tomato mozzarella salad recipe is a light no-cook meal or side dish perfect during the summer months.
Loaded with ripe, juicy, flavor-popping tomatoes, creamy mozzarella, and fresh basil. The light vinaigrette dressing makes all those fresh flavors come alive.
Are you bored with the basic green salad? The colors of this salad are sure to impress!
Why You’ll Love This
- This is not a Caprese salad, there’s no balsamic vinegar or balsamic glaze. It has a fabulously flavored vinaigrette.
- A quick and easy side that impresses!
- Light and tasty dish that everyone enjoys.
- Tomatoes – This tomato and mozzarella salad uses small tomatoes. We use mini Kumato tomatoes, grape tomatoes, and Zima tomatoes.
- Mozzarella Cheese – Use fresh mozzarella balls such as Bocconcini or Ciliegine.
- Seasonings – Fresh parsley, fresh basil, olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic, sea salt, and black pepper.
- Choose the best tomatoes you can find at the store. You don’t have to use the exact ones we did in this recipe.
- If you can’t find the mozzarella balls, you can use fresh mozzarella and cut it into bite-size pieces.
How to Make a Tomato Mozzarella Salad
In a small bowl whisk together the olive oil, red wine vinegar, minced garlic, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
There are many summer tomato varieties to choose from use different colored ones to make this dish really pop! Just look at that deep red tomato shining like a star!
You choose either grape or cherry tomatoes, or both for this fresh tomato mozzarella salad recipe.
If some of your tomatoes are on the larger size you can slice them in half, which is what I did with these mini Kumato and Zima tomatoes. Otherwise, leave them whole.
Slice the fresh mozzarella cheese balls in half, and chop the basil and fresh parsley.
Place the mozzarella, tomatoes, basil, and parsley in a large bowl and toss to combine.
Pour the vinaigrette over the salad and gently toss until coated evenly.
Let the salad sit for at least 15-20 minutes before serving. You want the dressing to marinate the tomatoes and mozzarella.
Serve and enjoy this colorful, healthy tomato mozzarella basil salad!
It’s a very versatile salad that can be served with any protein, such as steak, chicken, pork, or fish.
You can also make this in advance by storing the vinaigrette separately, then tossing it with the dressing about 15 minutes before serving. Be aware the tomatoes will get softer in the fridge and start to release juices.
The tomatoes in this salad will start to break down and release juices, so it’s best to enjoy them fresh. Store leftovers in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
More Salad Recipes
- Pesto Caprese Pasta Salad
- Arugula Fennel Salad
- Cucumber Radish Salad
- Healthy Marinated Fresh Vegetable Salad
- Homemade Five Bean Salad
Fresh Tomato Mozzarella Salad Recipe
- 1 pint Mini Kumato tomatoes
- 1 pint Zima tomatoes (yellow)
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 12 oz fresh mozzarella – Bocconcini or Ciliegine ( small round mozzarella balls)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 small garlic clove minced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt coarse
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper fresh ground
- Whisk together olive oil, red wine vinegar, minced garlic, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- Slice larger tomatoes in half. I used a combination of different tomatoes. But use whatever you like. Slice mozzarella balls in half. You want tomatoes and mozzarella to be similar in size. Place in a large bowl.
- Add the parsley and basil to the tomatoes and mozzarella, gently toss until combined.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the salad and gently toss to coat evenly.
- Let sit 15 minutes before serving so the flavors combine.
That salad looks gorgeous!! Love fresh mozzarella. SO delish!
A great garden salad for a hot summer day! Hope you are having a great week and thanks so much for sharing your awesome post with us at Full Plate Thursday!
Delicious! This recipe is a Feature at the Merry Monday party this week. The party is open now! Stop by and share! We’ll be watching for you.
Thank you, Shirley!
Yummy Summer Salad! Used all my garden veggies and it was delish! Thanks for the variation!