Ceviche is easy, fresh, and the perfect light summer treat!
It’s packed full of tangy citrus flavor with bits of crunch from onion and peppers.
You can make it as mild or spicy as you like. If you like a spicy ceviche recipe, leave the seeds and veins in the jalapeno or add more.
Now picture yourself chilling in the shade with a bowl of cool and refreshing ceviche in one hand and a Honeydew Margarita in the other.
Fresh shrimp ceviche and an icy margarita sound like a pretty good day to me.
What is ceviche?
It’s a Peruvian dish usually served as an appetizer. It’s made with raw fresh shrimp and fish, that’s marinated in fresh citrus juices. The acidic citrus cures the shrimp and fish causing them to become firm and opaque while absorbing flavor.
Ingredients Needed for Ceviche
- Fresh raw shrimp – Peeled and deveined. I use medium or large-size shrimp, whichever one is on sale at the time.
- Fresh raw cod – Or any lean white fish such as sea bass, mahi mahi, or halibut.
- Fresh lime juice, lemon juice, and orange juice – The seafood will “cook” in the citrus juices.
- Orange bell pepper – Or any color bell pepper you prefer.
- Red onion, fresh jalapeno, and fresh cilantro – Feel free to add more or less to your preferred taste.
- Garlic and fresh ginger root
How to Make Ceviche Recipe
Dice the raw shrimp and fresh fish into 1/2″ cubes.
Dice all vegetables into small pieces.
Squeeze the fresh lime juice, lemon juice, and orange juice into a small bowl or measuring cup.
Place the shrimp, fish, bell pepper, red onion, jalapenos, cilantro, garlic, and ginger into a large bowl.
Pour the fresh-squeezed juices over the raw seafood and vegetables, and mix to combine.
Refrigerate for 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours. Some recipes only marinate the raw fish for 30 minutes, some even 15 minutes. I tend to think this is a personal preference. If you let it sit too long you can overcook the shrimp. Too little and some people are afraid of raw fish. I tend to go for at least 1 hour but up to an hour and a half.
Don’t worry, the citrus cooks the shrimp and fish.
See the shrimp is pink and the fish is solid white!
Enjoy this perfect crisp and refreshing ceviche recipe during those hot summer days! Serve the ceviche with tortilla chips or just straight up.
This is a perfect dish to serve at parties or get-togethers. It comes together so fast and is so fresh and delicious. Enjoy!
How Long Does Ceviche Last?
It will keep well for 1 day stored in the refrigerator.
More Delicious Recipes
- Shrimp and Broccoli Stir Fry
- Shrimp Salad Recipe
- Spicy Shrimp Sushi Stack
- Cilantro Lime Slaw Shrimp Tacos
- Shrimp and Sausage Gumbo
Quick And Easy Ceviche Recipe
- 1 pound fresh shrimp, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 pound cod, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 cup fresh squeezed lime juice (about 10 limes)
- 1 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice (about 1-2 lemons)
- 1 cup fresh squeezed orange juice (about 2 oranges)
- 1/4 cup orange bell pepper, diced small (or red)
- 2/3 cup red onion, diced small
- 1 jalapeno – seeds and veins removed diced small
- 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger, minced
- Dice shrimp and fish into 1/2″ cubes.
- Dice all vegetables into small pieces, squeeze lime, lemon, and orange juices.
- Mix all ingredients and refrigerate for at least 1 1/2 hour to 2 hours.