Shrimp Po’ Boy
My all-time FAVORITE sandwich is the shrimp Po’ Boy! Our favorite restaurant in town is Cajun and I always order the fried shrimp Po’ Boy. I mean always. I have absolutely never ordered any other entree. If someone else at the table orders something different I try it but refuse to order different for myself. Do you have a restaurant favorite entree? Somewhere you refuse to order anything but your go-to dish?
Actually, if we go to another restaurant that also serves fried shrimp Po’ Boys that’s what I usually order too. Unless I feel like the place couldn’t measure up. Which is usually the case.
This dish was another we tried in our new, ever dreaded deep dryer. I have to confess and say this shrimp Po’ Boy was better than our favorite restaurant’s sandwich. Ok, I said it. I can’t believe I just admitted that to you.
Simple and quick to prepare plus absolutely mouth-watering. How can you go wrong? Prepare the sauce and refrigerate while preparing the shrimp and toppings.
Peel, devein and rinse the shrimp. Mix buttermilk and creole seasoning in a bowl, add the shrimp and set aside. Mix the cornmeal, flour, creole seasoning and pepper in another bowl.
Remove a few shrimp from the buttermilk, toss in the dry mixture and shake off excess. Do this in batches until all the shrimp are coated.
Deep fry the shrimp for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels. Assemble the Po’ Boys. Top with lettuce, tomato, and prepared creole sauce.
I promise this is one of the best shrimp Po’ Boy sandwiches you will ever eat. Really, I swear on this one! We are still talking about them and are planning another Deep Fry Fest.
Shrimp Po’ Boy
- 1 cup Mayonnaise
- 2/3 cup Ketchup
- 3 Tbsp Horseradish
- 1/2 to 1 Tbsp Creole seasoning depends on how spicy you want it
- 1/2 tsp Garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1 Tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 Lb Shrimp We used large
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 2 tsp Creole seasoning
- 1 cup Cornmeal
- 1 cup Flour
- 1 Tbsp Creole seasoning
- 1 tsp Fresh ground black powder
- French bread or hogies
- Lettuce shredded
- Tomatos sliced
- Creole Sauce above
- Preheat oil in a deep fryer or large pot to 350 degrees.
- Rinse, peel, devein shrimp. (remove tail)
- Mix buttermilk with 2 tsp creole seasoning in a medium bowl, add shrimp.
- Mix cornmeal, flour, 1 Tbsp Creole seasoning and black pepper in a large bowl.
- Working in batches, remove the shrimp from the buttermilk and transfer them to the dry mixture. Dredge to coat, shake to remove any excess.
- Cook the shrimp in small batches in the oil until golden brown and crispy, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Assemble Po' boys as desired.
More Delicious Recipes
Beer Battered Fish
Sauce recipe from favfamilyrecipes