My all-time FAVORITE sandwich is the shrimp Po’ Boy! Our favorite restaurant in town is Cajun and I always order the fried shrimp Po’ Boy. I mean always. I have absolutely never ordered any other entree. If someone else at the table orders something different I try it but refuse to order different for myself.
Do you have a restaurant favorite entree? Somewhere you refuse to order anything but your go-to dish?
Actually, if we go to another restaurant that also serves fried shrimp Po’ Boys that’s what I usually order too. Unless I feel like the place couldn’t measure up. Which is usually the case.
Try our Beer Battered Fish!
Shrimp Po’ Boy
This dish was another we tried in our new, ever dreaded deep dryer.
I have to confess and say this shrimp Po’ Boy was better than our favorite restaurant’s sandwich. Ok, I said it. I can’t believe I just admitted that to you.
Simple and quick to prepare plus absolutely mouth-watering. How can you go wrong? Prepare the sauce and refrigerate while preparing the shrimp and toppings.
Peel, devein, and rinse the shrimp. Mix buttermilk and creole seasoning in a medium bowl, add the shrimp, and set aside.
In another bowl whisk the cornmeal, flour, creole seasoning, and pepper.
Preheat the oil in a deep fryer or large pot to 350 degrees F.
Remove a few shrimp from the buttermilk, toss in the dry mixture and shake off excess. Do this in batches until all the shrimp are coated.
Serve our Jalapeno Hushpuppies on the side!
Deep fry the shrimp for 2 to 3 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels.
Assemble the Po’ Boys on French bread top with shredded lettuce, tomato, and prepared remoulade sauce.
I promise this is one of the best shrimp Po’ Boy sandwiches you will ever eat. Really, I swear on this one! We are still talking about them and are planning another Deep Fry Fest.
Check our out Strawberry Shortcake!
Fried Shrimp Po’ Boy Recipe
Shrimp Po’ Boy
- 1 cup Mayonnaise
- 2/3 cup Ketchup
- 3 Tbsp Horseradish
- 1/2 to 1 Tbsp Creole seasoning depends on how spicy you want it
- 1/2 tsp Garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1 Tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 Lb Shrimp We used large
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 2 tsp Creole seasoning
- 1 cup Cornmeal
- 1 cup Flour
- 1 Tbsp Creole seasoning
- 1 tsp Fresh ground black powder
- 4 medium French bread loaves or hogies
- Lettuce shredded
- Tomatoes sliced
- Creole Sauce above
- Preheat oil in a deep fryer or large pot to 350 degrees.
- Rinse, peel, devein shrimp. (remove tail)
- Mix buttermilk with 2 tsp creole seasoning in a medium bowl, add shrimp.
- Mix cornmeal, flour, 1 Tbsp Creole seasoning and black pepper in a large bowl.
- Working in batches, remove the shrimp from the buttermilk and transfer them to the dry mixture. Dredge to coat, shake to remove any excess.
- Fry the shrimp in small batches in the oil until golden brown and crispy, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Assemble Po’ boys as desired.
Sauce recipe from favfamilyrecipes