Lemon Cupcakes! Need I say more? Lemon cupcakes are the perfect Spring treat, right? This lemon cupcake recipe is tangy, sweet and has the perfect moist crumb.
This recipe makes 24 luscious cupcakes. So share with friends and neighbors. I sent them with my husband to share with his co-workers.
I changed up the recipe just a little to give these cupcakes more fresh lemon flavor. They are even better the next day, so if you have the time make them ahead.
- For the cupcakes:
- 2 1/4 cups cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- lemon zest of two lemons
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice about 2 lemons
- 1 stick 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon pure lemon extract
- For the icing:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 4 oz. cream cheese softened
- Juice and zest from 2 lemons
- Generous pinch of salt
- 4 cups sifted confectioner’s sugar
- Center a rack in the oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare cupcake tins by using liners or spray with non-stick cooking spray
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Whisk together the milk and egg whites in a medium bowl.
- Put the sugar and lemon zest in a mixer bowl or another large bowl and rub them together with your fingers until the sugar is moist and fragrant. Add the butter and, working with the paddle or whisk attachment, or with a hand mixer, beat at medium speed for a full 3 minutes, until the butter and sugar are very light.
- Beat in the extracts and lemon juice, then add one-third of the flour mixture, still beating on medium speed. Beat in half of the milk-egg mixture, then beat in half of the remaining dry ingredients until incorporated.
- Add the rest of the milk and eggs, beating until the batter is homogeneous, then add the last of the dry ingredients.
- Give the batter a good 2-minute beating to ensure that it is thoroughly mixed and well aerated. Place the batter into the cupcake tins.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes, or until the cupcakes are well risen and springy to the touch – a thin knife inserted into the centers should come out clean. Cool on wire rack.
- To make the icing: In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, thoroughly mix together the butter and cream cheese. Add the lemon juice, zest, and salt and mix to combine. On low speed, add the confectioner’s sugar, one cup at a time until you reach the desired spreading consistency. To finish, frost the cooled cupcakes and serve.
Adapted from trialsinfood