An easy kale and bean salad packed with nutrients and dressed with a tangy citrus dressing. This is my version of the Long Life salad seen on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. It’s loaded with kale, black beans, lima beans, lentils, quinoa and spiralized beets. It’s so good that my husband requests this salad on a regular basis. That’s saying something, he has to be forced to eat a healthy salad most of the time.
Kale and Bean Salad
While the lentils and quinoa are cooking whisk together the dressing ingredients and set aside.
Clean and chop the kale into bite-size pieces. Place all salad ingredients in a very large mixing bowl.
Drizzle about half of the dressing over and toss to coat. Add more dressing if desired. We usually only use about 3/4 of the dressing. It’s great on a tossed green salad as well.
I will eat this kale and bean salad immediately but if you like a more tender kale place it in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to an hour.
Kale and Bean Salad
- 1 large bunch of fresh kale cleaned and chopped
- 1 cup canned black beans rinsed and drained well
- 1 cup canned lima beans rinsed and drained well
- 2 cups spiralized beets*
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa cooked according to package directions
- 1 1/2 cups lentils cooked according to package directions
- Citrus dressing:
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- zest of one lemon
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 Tablespoon orange zest
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Cook the quinoa and lentils according to the package directions.
- For the dressing: whisk all the dressing ingredients together or shake in a mason jar.
- Clean and chop the kale into bite-size pieces and place in a large bowl.
- Add the black beans, lima beans, spiralized beets, quinoa, and lentils to the bowl.
- Drizzle half of the dressing over the salad and gently toss to coat, add remaining dressing if desired.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour to soften the kale.
*This makes a ton of salad, perfect for lunch prep.
Amount per serving
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 11g 14%
Saturated Fat 1.5g 8%
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 253mg 11%
Total Carbohydrate 56.6g 21%
Dietary Fiber 14.8g 53%
Total Sugars 6.5g
Vitamin D 0mcg 0%
Calcium 155mg 12%
Iron 6mg 33%
Potassium 765mg 16%
*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calorie a day is used for general nutrition advice.
More Delicious Recipes