Greek marinated chicken, stuffed in homemade naan, topped with fresh tzatziki sauce! So good!
I have found my new favorite chicken meal!!!! This chicken gyros recipe is the B O M B! It’s a little time involved if you make your own flatbread.
Try our savory Chicken Salad!
The marinade for the chicken is so flavorful. I have been known to just marinate chicken with this recipe and serve with a salad.
We marinated and then skewered the chicken tenders for the grill. I prefer a chicken tender to a solid breast. They tend to lend more marinaded flavor and more char on the meat. You can also use chicken thighs. Just adjust the cooking time accordingly.
To marinate the chicken I place them in a zip top bag. Squeeze the lemon juice over the chicken and toss in the lemons. Add the olive oil, garlic cloves, oregano, salt, and pepper. Turn the chicken to coat evenly, close the bag and refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours. Turning occasionally.
To cook the chicken. Remove chicken from the marinade and grill over medium heat until juices run clear.
Check out our Strawberry Shortcake!
The tzatziki sauce is the key for me in this recipe. So fresh and flavorful. Who loves tzatziki as much as I do? I will put it on everything!
Typically Greek tzatziki sauce is made with Greek yogurt or regular yogurt. But I find the sour flavor to be too overpowering for my taste. So I make it with added mayonnaise and sour cream, reducing the amount of yogurt. I recommend the full-fat versions but you can certainly use low-fat products as well.
To make the TZATZIKI SAUCE: In a food processor grate cucumber (or hand grater). Place grated cucumber in a clean kitchen towel or strong paper towels and squeeze excess moisture out. Mix all sauce ingredients together and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to combine.
Serve over Gyros with tomatoes, onions, and lettuce
The first few times I made this recipe I was too intimidated to make the naan flatbread. I just served it with store bought pita bread. But then I made naan from scratch, the way to go in my opinion.
Click here for the Naan Flatbread recipe.
If you have the time go ahead and brave the naan flatbread recipe. It wasn’t that difficult and was a million times better than store-bought.
Chicken Gyros Recipe
- 2 medium lemons cut into wedges
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 8 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 3 lbs. chicken breasts or tenders boneless, skinless
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1 whole hothouse cucumber finely grated, squeeze off juice
- 2 tsp. garlic 2 cloves
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. dried dill or fresh
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. white wine vinegar
- Gently squeeze lemons into a large resealable plastic bag, leaving lemon wedges in the bag. Add ingredients & shake. Add chicken & turn to coat. Seal bag & fridge for 2- 4 hrs. turning occasionally. Remove chicken and grill over medium heat until juices run clear.
- In a food processor grate cucumber (or hand grate). Place grated cucumber in a clean kitchen towel and squeeze excess moisture out. Mix all sauce ingredients together and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to combine. Serve over Gyros with tomatoes, onions, and lettuce.