These Chicken Gyros are Greek marinated chicken stuffed in homemade naan and topped with fresh tzatziki sauce! So good!
Why You’ll Love This
I have found my new favorite chicken meal!!!! This chicken gyros recipe is amazing!
You can make your own naan flatbread or use store-bought naan.
They are packed with a fresh flavor and are really easy to make!
They are a healthy meal to feed the family.
What goes in Gyros?
- Marinated and grilled chicken
- Tzatziki sauce
- Thinly sliced lettuce, tomatoes, and red onions
- Flatbread, pita bread, or pita wrap
Greek Chicken Marinade Ingredients
- Fresh lemon juice
- Olive oil
- Salt and black pepper
The marinade for this chicken gyro recipe is so flavorful. I have been known to just marinate chicken with this recipe and serve it with a salad.
How to Make Greek Chicken Gyros
We marinated and then skewered the chicken tenders for the grill. I prefer a chicken tender to a solid chicken breast.
They tend to lend more marinated flavor and more char to the meat. You can also use chicken thighs. Just adjust the cooking time accordingly.
To marinate the chicken, I place them in a zip-top bag. Squeeze the lemon juice over the chicken and toss in the lemons.
Add the olive oil, garlic cloves, oregano, salt, and pepper. Turn the chicken to coat evenly, close the bag and refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours, turning occasionally.
You can also marinate the chicken in a large bowl but be sure to cover it tightly with plastic wrap.
To cook the chicken. Remove chicken from the marinade and grill over medium heat for about 3-4 minutes per side or until juices run clear.
The tzatziki sauce is the key for me in this recipe. So fresh and flavorful. Who loves tzatziki as much as I do? I will put it on everything!
What Goes in Tzatziki for Greek Gyros?
- Plain yogurt, sour cream, and mayonnaise – You can use only Greek yogurt.
- Hothouse cucumber – Or English cucumber.
- Garlic, dried dill, fresh parsley
- Fresh lemon juice and white wine vinegar
- Salt to taste
Typically Greek tzatziki sauce is made with Greek yogurt or regular yogurt and cucumber. But I find the sour flavor to be too overpowering for my taste.
So I make it with added mayonnaise and sour cream, reducing the amount of yogurt. I recommend the full-fat versions, but you can certainly use low-fat products as well.
To make the homemade TZATZIKI SAUCE: In a food processor, grate cucumber (or box grater). Place grated cucumber in a clean kitchen towel or strong paper towel and squeeze excess moisture out.
Mix all sauce ingredients together and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to combine.
Serve over Gyros with tomatoes, onions, and lettuce.
The first few times I made this recipe, I was too intimidated to make the naan flatbread recipe. I just served it with store-bought warm pita bread.
But then I made naan from scratch, the way to go, in my opinion.
If you have the time go ahead and brave the naan flatbread recipe. It wasn’t that difficult and was a million times better than store-bought.
Place the grilled chicken on pitas or flatbreads, top with desired amount of diced tomatoes, shredded lettuce, and sliced red onions, drizzle the yogurt sauce over the top and serve.
You can wrap them in parchment paper or aluminum foil for easier handling.
Sides to Serve
- If using large chicken breasts, butterfly them to make two thinner chicken pieces. You will achieve way more marinade flavor this way.
- You can use store-bought tzatziki sauce instead of making homemade.
- You can also cook the chicken in a large skillet over medium-high heat, for about 5 minutes per side or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
- I personally don’t recommend baking the chicken tenders in the oven. You won’t achieve the nice char or crispy brownness you would from the grill or a skillet. And you run the risk of drying the chicken out.
- Use chicken thighs instead of chicken tenders or chicken breasts.
- You can also use beef or lamb. Use a beef flank steak or skirt steak, and marinate it for a minimum of 1 hour. Grill until lightly charred, about 4 minutes on each side. Choose lamb sirloins, and grill for 6 to 10 minutes on each side, depending on how well done you like your lamb.
- Top with some crumbled feta cheese.
- Add some more toppings, such as diced cucumbers, roasted red peppers, and chopped kalamata olives.
- Keep it low carb and serve the grilled chicken over a salad using the tzatziki sauce as the dressing.
You can marinate the chicken for up to 24 hours before grilling. You can also prepare the toppings and store each of them separately in the fridge.
Place the grilled chicken in an airtight container and refrigerate it for up to 3 days. Reheat gently in the microwave. It’s best to assemble the gyros when you want to eat them. If stored already assembled, the naan bread with become soggy.
You can let the grilled chicken cool completely, place it in a freezer safe airtight container, and freeze it for up to 2 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight, then reheat.
You can also freeze the raw chicken in the marinade for up to 2 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight, then cook the chicken according to the recipe.
More Grilled Chicken Recipes
Easy Greek Chicken Gyros Recipe
- 2 medium lemons cut into wedges
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 8 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 3 lbs. chicken breasts or tenders boneless, skinless
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1 whole hothouse cucumber finely grated, squeeze off juice
- 2 tsp. garlic 2 cloves
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. dried dill or fresh
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. white wine vinegar
- Gently squeeze lemons into a large resealable plastic bag, leaving lemon wedges in the bag. Add the remaining marinade ingredients and shake. Add the chicken and turn to coat. Seal the bag and refrigerate for 2- 4 hours turning occasionally.2 medium lemons, 1/3 cup olive oil, 8 cloves garlic, 2 tsp oregano, 2 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. pepper, 3 lbs. chicken breasts
- Remove chicken and grill at 400 degrees F for about 5 minutes on each side, until juices run clear and the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
- In a food processor grate cucumber (or hand grate). Place grated cucumber in a clean kitchen towel and squeeze excess moisture out. Mix all sauce ingredients together and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to combine.1 cup plain yogurt, 1/2 cup sour cream, 1/2 cup mayo, 1 whole hothouse cucumber, 2 tsp. garlic, 1/4 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. dried dill, 1/4 cup fresh parsley, 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice, 1/2 tsp. white wine vinegar
- Place a couple of chicken tenders on top of the flatbread, drizzle with the tzatziki sauce, and top with desired amounts of diced tomatoes, shredded lettuce, and sliced red onions.