Easy Meatloaf Recipe
A simple, classic, easy recipe that’s tender, juicy, and filled with amazing flavor. It just doesn’t get any more comforting than meatloaf for dinner, right?
For years I’ve made this by just tossing in my favorite spices, no measuring, and no consistency. We finally started testing and measuring to develop the best meatloaf recipe!
This recipe is simple with few ingredients! Can’t go wrong!
How to Make an Easy Meatloaf Recipe
- Ground Beef – 80/20 is perfect for this recipe.
- Onions – Chopped small or grated.
- Eggs and Bread crumbs – Helps bind and keep its shape.
- Buttermilk – Adds extra moisture.
- Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, ketchup, salt, and pepper – For the best FLAVOR!
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a 9×5 loaf pan with cooking spray, and set aside.
In a large bowl add the ground beef, onion, eggs, bread crumbs, Worcestershire sauce, buttermilk, garlic powder, onion powder, ketchup, salt, and pepper. Mix the ingredients together just until combined. DO NOT OVERMIX! (Over-mixing can cause it to have a tough, dry texture)
Press firmly into the prepared loaf pan. Cover the pan with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes.
Ingredients for the Sauce
- Brown sugar
- Dijon mustard
- Worcestershire sauce
In a small bowl stir together the ketchup, brown sugar, dijon mustard, and Worcestershire sauce.
Remove the pan from the oven. Spread the prepared sauce over the top of the meatloaf and bake for another 20-30 minutes uncovered or until the meat reaches 160 degrees F.
Let it rest for at least 10 minutes before turning it out of the pan and cutting it into thick slices.
Tips on How to Make the Best Meatloaf
What is the best meat for meatloaf? We use 80/20 ground beef.
Why does my meatloaf fall apart when cutting? Because it wasn’t mixed together thoroughly or not pressed firmly into a loaf.
How long does it take to bake a 2 pound meatloaf? About 1 hr and 20 minutes, or until 160 degrees F.
Do I have to use a loaf pan? No, you can also shape it into a loaf and bake it on a baking sheet. But I don’t recommend this method.
The edges cook faster and it comes out too dry. Cooking time will vary if you use the baking sheet method.
Can you freeze meatloaf? Yes! Freezing raw meatloaf – prepare meatloaf per instructions. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and aluminum foil and freeze.
Defrost in the refrigerator covered. Continue with baking instructions.
Freezing cooked meatloaf – cool completely, and freeze the individual slices on a parchment-lined pan. Once frozen wrap the individual slices and transfer them to a freezer bag.
What to serve with meatloaf?
We always serve this classic meatloaf with mashed potatoes and green beans or broccoli.
Other recipes you might enjoy!
- Stuffed Bell Peppers Recipe
- Absolute Best Ever Lasagna Recipe
- Slow Cooker Beef Stew
- Easy Vegetable Beef Soup
- Sheet Pan Beef Nachos
- Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy
- Thick and Hearty Homestyle Chili Recipe
Enjoy this easy meatloaf recipe any night of the week.
Easy Meatloaf Recipe
- 2 lbs 80/20 ground beef
- 1/2 cup onion, diced small (or grated)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp dark brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a 9×5 loaf pan with cooking spray, set aside.
- In a large bowl add the ground beef, onion, eggs, bread crumbs, Worcestershire sauce, buttermilk, garlic powder, onion powder, ketchup, salt, and pepper. Mix the ingredients together just until combined. DO NOT OVER MIX!
- Press firmly into the prepared loaf pan. Cover the pan with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- In a small bowl stir together the ketchup, brown sugar, dijon mustard, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Remove the pan from the oven. Spread the prepared sauce over the top of the meatloaf and bake for another 20-30 minutes uncovered or until the meat reaches 160 degrees F.
- Let the meatloaf rest for at least 10 minutes before turning out of the pan and cutting into thick slices.
I have a 2 part question.. Can I leave the Worcestershire sauce out or substitute it with something else and can I use whole milk instead of buttermilk? I want to make this but don’t have these ingredients HELP!!
Here are a couple ideas for the buttermilk:
1 cup buttermilk = 1 Tablespoon white vinegar and enough milk to measure 1 cup
1 cup buttermilk = 1 Tablespoon lemon juice and enough milk to measure 1 cup
As far as the Wsauce … soy sauce would be the sub I would go with. Hope this helps! Good luck! 🙂
If I’m going to half the recipe would you do anything differently? Less cook time?
Yes, less cook time. The internal temp should be 160 F.