How To Make Beef Stew In A Crockpot
This tasty slow cooker beef stew recipe is just adjusted from our favorite Hearty Beef Stew recipe. Thick, creamy, flavorful comfort food from your slow cooker! Who doesn’t love to cook a meal while completing your other daily tasks? A classic slow cooker meal.
Slow Cooker Beef Stew
Toss the stew meat with 1/3 cup of flour to coat.
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown the beef in batches. Do not cook all the way through. Transfer to your slow cooker.
Browning the meat is not absolutely necessary, but the caramelized meat adds to the rich, deep flavor of the stew. It’s definitely worth the extra step!
Add the onion, celery, potatoes, and carrots on top of the beef. Sprinkle the garlic, thyme, oregano, bay leaves, salt, and pepper over the top.
In a bowl or large measuring cup, mix the red wine, beef broth, and tomato paste. It’s not necessary but you could deglaze the pan with these liquids and then pour into the crock pot.
Pour broth mixture over the top of the vegetables. Cover and cook on low 8-9 hours or cook on high for 6-7 hours.
Once cooked, mix 2 tablespoons of flour and 1 tablespoon of softened butter together in a small bowl. In the slow cooker move aside best you can, some of the meat and vegetables.
You can also cook uncovered for 30 minutes to an hour to help thicken without the flour mixture.
Gently whisk in the flour mixture to thicken the stew even more. This step is not absolutely necessary but we like our stew to be thick, not soupy.
Serve and enjoy this thick and chunky Slow Cooker Beef Stew. This bowl of goodness will satisfy your most ravenous of family members.
Check out our Wild Rice and Mushroom Soup.
Easy Beef Stew Recipe
Slow Cooker Beef Stew
- 2 – 3 lbs boneless chuck roast cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons Vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup Flour
- 1 large Onion cut into 1-inch chunks
- 4 medium Carrots peeled cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 stalks Celery including tops/leaves cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 large Russet Potatoes peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh Thyme
- ½ teaspoon Oregano
- 2 Bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground Pepper more to taste
- 1/4 cup Red Wine
- 3 1/2 cups Beef stock
- 1 tablespoon Tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the vegetable oil.
- When it begins to smoke slightly, add the beef and brown. Do in batches and do not cook through. Once browned, transfer the stew meat to the slow cooker.
- Add onion, potatoes, carrots, and celery to the slow cooker on top of the beef. Sprinkle the garlic, thyme, oregano, bay leaves, salt and pepper over the top of the vegetables.
- In a bowl or large measuring cup mix the red wine, beef stock, and tomato paste. Pour over the vegetables. Stir. Place the lid on and cook on low for 8-9 hours or on high for 6-7 hours. If you are around, give it a few stirs during the cooking process.
- For a thicker stew, mix 2 tablespoons flour and 1 tablespoon butter together with a fork. In the slow cooker, push aside some of the meat and vegetables. Gently whisk in the flour-butter mixture and cook another 15 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!