Creamy tomato basil soup is a cold-weather must-have recipe. It’s unbelievably easy and so delicious.
Why You’ll Love This
This recipe is a perfect weeknight meal. You will have time to make grilled cheese sandwiches to dip in the soup.
In our house, the perfect comfort food is a grilled cheese sandwich with tomato soup. Really! We won’t even consider eating tomato soup without one. Crazy, I know.
This creamy tomato soup is a quick meal that’s ready in about 30 minutes.
Creamy Tomato Basil Soup Recipe Video
What You’ll Need
- Olive oil, garlic cloves, and shallot – You can use regular onion, but the shallot lends a milder onion flavor.
- Crushed tomatoes – Crushed tomatoes cook up faster and are easier to emulsify. You can use diced canned tomatoes, but you will probably want to use an immersion blender to make a smooth textured soup.
- Chicken stock – Or chicken broth. Homemade has better flavor, but store-bought works too.
- Granulated sugar – Sugar helps to cut the acidity in tomatoes.
- Seasonings – Dried oregano, kosher salt, and black pepper.
- Fresh basil – Fresh is best, but you can use dried basil in a pinch.
- Half and Half – This adds a creamy, rich flavor to the soup.
How to Make Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
This quick tomato basil soup recipe requires very few ingredients. Wash and dry the basil, dice the shallot and press the garlic. Oh yeah, open the cans of tomatoes.
In a large pot over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil. Add shallot and sauté until translucent.
Add garlic and sauté for another 30 seconds, until fragrant.
Add crushed tomatoes (juice and all), chicken stock (or chicken broth), oregano, sugar, salt, and pepper.
Reduce the heat and bring it to a low simmer. Cook uncovered, occasionally stirring, for 15 minutes or until it has thickened.
Stir in the half and half, fresh basil, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
We love this easy tomato basil soup and its texture. If it’s not smooth enough for your tastes, use an immersion blender to emulsify it to your liking.
Or use a regular blender, but you will need to do it in batches.
- Choose high quality canned tomatoes for the best flavor. After all, it’s the main ingredient for this homemade tomato basil soup.
- Using crushed tomatoes means you don’t have to blend the soup. If you want a thicker, chunkier version, use diced tomatoes.
- Use heavy cream instead of half and half for an even richer-tasting soup.
- If you need to make it dairy-free, use your choice of non-dairy milk substitute. But be aware that it will change the flavor and creamy texture of the soup.
- Garnish each bowl with grated Parmesan cheese or Pecorino Romano cheese.
- Organic Tomato Basil Soup – Purchase organic canned tomatoes and organic seasonings
- Vegetarian Tomato Basil Soup – Use vegetable broth instead of chicken stock.
- Roasted Tomato Basil Soup – Use canned fire roasted crushed tomatoes.
A hearty bread or, better yet, a grilled cheese sandwich. Classic!
It’s a great source of antioxidants, vitamins A and C, and can help with weight loss.
Let the soup cool to room temperature. Store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
You can freeze this soup but without the dairy. Dairy does not freeze well. It tends to separate.
If you wish to freeze the tomato basil soup, blend the soup but do not add the cream. Let it cool to room temperature, then freeze it in a freezer-safe airtight container. It will store for up to 3 months.
Thaw in the fridge overnight. Reheat the soup, and then add the cream.
More Soup Recipes
Easy Creamy Tomato Basil Soup Recipe
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 large Shallot, diced
- 56 oz Crushed Tomatoes 2 – 28 oz cans
- 1 1/2 cup Chicken Stock or vegetable stock
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- 1/2 Tsp Dried Oregano
- 2 Tsp Kosher Salt
- Several grinds of Pepper to taste
- 1 Cup Half and Half
- 12 – 15 large Fresh Basil leaves, chopped
- In a dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add shallot and saute until translucent.1 Tbsp Olive Oil, 1 large Shallot, diced
- Add garlic and saute another 30 seconds.2 cloves Garlic, minced
- Add crushed tomatoes (juice and all), chicken stock, oregano, sugar, salt, and pepper.56 oz Crushed Tomatoes, 1 1/2 cup Chicken Stock or vegetable stock, 1 Tbsp Sugar, 1/2 Tsp Dried Oregano, 2 Tsp Kosher Salt, Several grinds of Pepper to taste
- Bring to a low simmer. Cook uncovered, for 15 minutes or until it has thickened.
- Add the half and half, basil and season to taste with salt and pepper.1 Cup Half and Half, 12 – 15 large Fresh Basil leaves, chopped
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.