Creamy tomato basil soup is a cold-weather must-have recipe. It’s unbelievably easy and so delicious.
This recipe is a perfect weeknight meal. You will even have time to make grill cheese sandwiches to dip in the soup.
In our house, the perfect comfort food is a grill cheese sandwich with tomato soup. Really! We won’t even consider eating tomato soup without one.
Crazy, I know.
Creamy Tomato Basil Soup Video
How To Make Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
This recipe requires very few ingredients. Wash dry the basil, dice the shallot and press the garlic. Oh yeah, open the cans of tomato.
In a large pot over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil. Add shallot and saute until translucent.
Add garlic and saute another 30 seconds.
Add crushed tomatoes (juice and all), chicken stock (or chicken broth), oregano, sugar, salt, and pepper.
Reduce the heat and bring to a low simmer. Cook uncovered stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until it has thickened.
Add the half and half, fresh basil and season to taste with salt and pepper.
We love this recipe and the texture but if it’s not smooth enough for you just use an immersion blender to imulsive it to you liking.
Try our popular Thick and Hearty Chili!
Creamy Tomato Basil Soup Recipe
Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 large Shallot, diced
- 56 oz Crushed Tomatoes 2 – 28 oz cans
- 1 1/2 cup Chicken Stock or vegetable stock
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- 1/2 Tsp Dried Oregano
- 2 Tsp Kosher Salt
- Several grinds of Pepper to taste
- 1 Cup Half and Half
- 12 – 15 large Fresh Basil leaves, chopped
- In a dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add shallot and saute until translucent.
- Add garlic and saute another 30 seconds.
- Add crushed tomatoes (juice and all), chicken stock, oregano, sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Bring to a low simmer. Cook uncovered, for 15 minutes or until it has thickened.
- Add the half and half, basil and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.