Chili is the perfect winter warm-up meal, right?! This is the best we have ever eaten.
I know, everyone says that about their favorite recipe but I swear this is the ONE.
It’s not a loose soup, it’s thick, chunky and loaded with rich flavor certain to please the entire family. It has kidney beans, pinto beans, chunks of ground beef, spices … it’s got it all!
This thick chili recipe is perfect for game day gatherings as well. A one-pot, easy meal that can easily feed a crowd.
If you’re looking for that hearty chili recipe, you’ve found it!
Check out our Tomato Basil Soup!
Thick And Hearty Homestyle Chili Video
How To Make An Awesome Thick Chili
Seriously, there won’t be many steps in this post. One-pot (I use my large dutch oven) on medium-high heat, brown the ground beef and onions. add in the garlic and other spices.
Add the garlic, chili powder, dried mustard, crushed red pepper, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper and cook for another minute.
Add the green chilis, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, kidney beans, pinto beans, and water. Simmer on low for at least 4 hours.
This cooks for hours but it’s worth the wait, I swear! This homemade chili recipe will become your new favorite.
Serve with your favorite toppings. Cheese, sour cream, diced onions or jalapenos.
Try our Monster Cookies! They are to die for!
Thick Homestyle Chili Recipe
Thick Homestyle Chili
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried mustard
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper (or more to taste)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4.5 oz green chilies, chopped (1 – 4.5oz can)
- 28 oz diced tomatoes (1 – 28 oz can)
- 6 oz tomato paste (1 – 6 oz can)
- 4 cups water
- 32 oz kidney beans, undrained (2 – 16 oz cans)
- 16 oz pinto beans, drained (1 – 16 oz can)
- Toppings of choice: shredded cheese onions, jalapenos, sour cream, etc.
- Brown the ground beef and onion. Drain any excess fat, if desired.
- Add the garlic, chili powder, dried mustard, crushed red pepper, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper and cook for another minute.
- Add the remaining ingredients, and simmer on low for at least 4 hours.