Easy ham and potato soup is a tasty comfort meal for those chilly nights. A creamy, warm, and hearty weeknight meal. So delicious it will be a new family favorite. This soup is great for using leftover ham.
Easy Ham and Potato Soup
In a large dutch oven or stockpot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, and celery; saute until translucent, about 8-10 minutes.
Stir in the garlic, fresh thyme, bay leaf and cook until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes. Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and cook for 1-2 minutes.
Slowly add the milk while whisking constantly. Add the salt and pepper. Stir in the cooked ham, potatoes, and corn.
Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer about 10-15 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
Once the potatoes are tender use a potato masher to mash about 1/3 of the potatoes or to your desired creaminess. Don’t worry it won’t break the ham cubes too much.
Garnish with chopped parsley or even shredded cheddar cheese.
This creamy ham and potato soup is amazingly delicious. As Summer turns to Fall and it starts cooling down, nothing really tops a warm bowl of homemade soup. This is one of our favorites. It’s hearty and bursting with flavor. It is absolutely delicious!
It’s also great to whip up over the weekend and eat on it over the next few days. It almost seems to get better overnight. This is quintessential comfort food and it’s very easy to throw together.
A fresh-made ham and potato soup recipe that gets your meal on the table in less than an hour. Give it a try!
Ham And Potato Soup Recipe
Easy Ham and Potato Soup
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 carrots sliced thin
- 3 celery stalks diced
- 1/2 medium onion diced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 cups milk
- 2 russet potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 1/4 cups frozen corn kernels
- 12 oz. boneless ham steak cubed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Melt butter in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, and celery cook, stirring frequently, about 8-10 minutes. Stir garlic, thyme, and bay leaf cook until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Whisk in flour, cook for 1 minute. Slowly whisk in milk. Add potatoes, corn, ham, salt, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender about 13-15 minutes.*
- When the potatoes are tender, use a potato masher and mash about 1/3 of the potatoes. This depends on your desired thickness of the soup. We like it thick and creamy.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately.