Slow cooker roasted chicken will become one of your new favorite meals! It’s easy to prep, set, and cook. No-fuss, no muss! This is a great recipe for those busy days!
Why You’ll Love This
This slow cooker whole chicken recipe creates a super moist, tender, and juicy whole chicken.
You can prep this chicken in no time flat before you leave for work. Or better yet, prepare it the night before and place the bowl in the fridge. Cooking a whole chicken in the slow cooker has just made dinner a breeze!
When you wake up the next morning, remove it from the fridge. I like the insert of the slow cooker to warm to room temperature before placing it in the unit to cook. So I pull it out and place it on the counter to come to room temperature while I’m scrambling around in the fridge for the cream to put in my first cup of coffee.
Some of our other favorite chicken recipes to make are One Pan Roasted Chicken and Vegetables, Old Fashioned Chicken and Dumplings, Parmesan Crusted Chicken Tenders, and Chicken Thighs in a Garlic Cream Sauce.
- Whole chicken – 4 to 5 pounds whole chicken.
- Smoked paprika – Or regular paprika. The slow cooker will not brown the skin so this helps with coloring the chicken.
- Seasonings – Steak seasoning, salt, and pepper
Slow Cooker Whole Chicken Video
How To Make Slow Cooker Roasted Chicken
Carve, serve, and enjoy this crock pot whole chicken!
Couldn’t be easier, right? Crockpot whole chicken is too easy to not make every week!
- Use whole carrots, celery, or thick sliced potatoes under the chicken instead of aluminum foil balls.
- Be careful when adding salt and pepper to the rub. Not all steak seasonings are made the same, some will have a higher sodium content than others.
- To achieve crispy skin transfer the chicken to a baking dish or sheet pan and broil it in the oven for about 5 minutes. Watch it closely!
- Use that leftover chicken to make chicken salad!
Switch up the seasonings for this crock pot chicken. Try store-bought Rotisserie Chicken Seasonings such as Badia or McCormick’s.
Don’t have steak seasonings? No worries use 2 tsp smoked paprika, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp onion powder, 1/2 tsp dried thyme, 1 tsp kosher salt, and 1/2 tsp black pepper.
No. Due to food safety reasons, you should thaw the chicken before cooking in a slow cooker.
Yes! If you want to be extra cautious cook it on high. But the USDA says it’s fine.
No. You don’t need to add water to a whole chicken recipe in a slow cooker. You don’t want to make chicken soup.
This is the result of cooking the chicken too long. As the chicken cooks, the collagen breaks down into gelatin. Don’t add any liquid and cook on high instead of low.
Let the chicken cool completely, place it in an airtight container, and refrigerate for up to 4 days. Or freeze the leftover chicken for up to 2 months.
More Delicious Slow Cooker Recipes
Slow Cooker Roasted Chicken Recipe
- 5 lb Whole chicken (insides removed)
- 1 tablespoon Smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons Steak seasoning
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt or more to taste
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper or more to taste
- aluminum foil, or thickly-sliced onions or vegetables
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels.5 lb Whole chicken
- In a small bowl, whisk together the paprika, steak seasoning, salt, pepper until combined. Rub the seasoning mix all over the outside and inside of the chicken.1 tablespoon Smoked paprika, 2 tablespoons Steak seasoning, 1/2 tsp Kosher salt, 1/2 tsp Black pepper
- Roll up a few small balls of aluminum foil place them on the bottom of your slow cooker bowl to serve as a “rack” for the chicken, so that it doesn’t cook in the juices that will accumulate in the bottom of the slow cooker.aluminum foil, or thickly-sliced onions or vegetables
- Place the chicken on top of the aluminum foil (or veggies). Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours, or on high for 4-5 hours until the chicken is cooked through and reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Carefully remove the chicken from the slow cooker, it could be so tender it will fall apart.