Everybody needs to have a cornbread recipe in their kitchen arsenal. There are certain dishes that almost require a decent cornbread. Chilis, soups, chowders and basically any southern meat and three.
This recipe is very quick. It is very easy. And it is very good. The buttermilk and butter make this cornbread very flavorful and it’s not all dried out.
If we don’t want to get ‘fancy’ with our cornbread, this is our go-to every time.
How To Make Buttermilk Cornbread
Add one tablespoon of vegetable oil to an 8 inch cast iron skillet and place it into the oven. Turn the oven on to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. While the oven is preheating and heating up the skillet you can prepare the cornbread.
Using a large bowl, add the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt and mix until it’s all combined well.
Add an egg into a separate bowl and beat. Next add buttermilk and melted butter and whisk everything together.
Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour the wet ingredients into the bowl. Stir together until it’s combined. Don’t overwork it.
Once your skillet is nice and hot (should be slightly smoking), pour the cornbread batter into the skillet. It shoud sizzle.
Bake at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for approximately 25 minutes or until golden brown. Insert a toothpick into the center to test for doneness. If it comes out clean, it’s ready to go!
As I previously said, everybody needs a good cornbread recipe and this one is it. While we’re not pounding out cornbread every week, pretty much every time we NEED cornbread, this is the one.
We also enjoy this with several of our soups, including this rockin’ lentil soup.
It’s versatile and it’s super good! We hope you like it. If you want to try one with some extra kick, you might like our creole cornbread. I would give that one a look while you’re at it.
Buttermilk Cornbread Recipe
- Cast iron skillet
- 1 1/2 cup Yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup Flour
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 2/3 cup Buttermilk
- 4 tbsp Butter melted
- 1 Egg beaten
- 1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add oil to skillet and put into the oven. Allow to heat.
- Mix together dry ingredients in a large bowl
- Beat egg in separate bowl.
- Add butter and buttermilk to the egg and whisk until combined.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and combine wet ingredients. Do not overmix.
- Pour cornbread mixture into heated cast iron skillet. It should sizzle.
- Bake for 25 minutes until golden brown. Test for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center. If it comes out clean, it's done.
- Remove and serve hot.