Jalapeno Hushpuppies are a requirement with all of our fried fish or shrimp. It’s a must! They are spicy, crispy, golden brown little nuggets of fried cornbread heaven. No fish fry is complete without them. We recently had these with our Beer Battered Fish. If you are going to be frying fish anyway throw in some of these bad boys. I promise you won’t regret it.
Chop up some pickled jalapenos and just mix them in the batter. Scoop with a cookie dough scoop (or spoon), and fry until done. The cookie dough scoop just helps keep them as round as possible. Sorry I didn’t get a photo of the frying method. I was a little busy…ok, I forgot.
Simple ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen. It takes less than 5 minutes to mix the batter and only about 5 minutes of frying time. Fast and easy jalapeno hushpuppies!
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped jalapeno peppers (as desired)
- canola or vegetable oil for frying
- Whisk together the eggs and buttermilk, in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, baking soda, salt, and sugar. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, then add the onion and jalapenos and stir until incorporated and the batter is thick.
- In a heavy-bottomed pot (Dutch oven) or deep fryer, heat enough oil to come halfway up the sides of the pot, to 360 degrees F.
- Working in batches, drop the batter, 1 tablespoon (I use a cookie dough scoop) at a time, into the oil, being careful to not overcrowd the pot. Fry until deep golden on all sides, turning in the oil for even cooking, about 5 minutes. Transfer the hush puppies to a paper towel-lined dish and sprinkle with salt (if desired) while hot.