What do you do when your husband finally convinces you to purchase a deep fryer? You break out the onion rings recipe and get to frying! Who can say no to a basket full of hot, crispy onion rings!
I have been saying no to a deep fryer for years. First I don’t have the storage space. Second, I’ve told you all how I feel about the smell in my house. I don’t like it at all.
While making the onion rings I informed my darling husband we need some sort of table outside to do this on from NOW ON. I probably wouldn’t have done it this weekend because it’s still too hot outside but for future frying events, you know.
This recipe is similar to the bloomin’ onion. It’s just in rings and much easier to cook.
Try our crispy Hot Wings!
Buttermilk Onion Rings
Crispy, crunchy, deep fried buttermilk battered onion rings!
Prepare the sauce and place in the refrigerator. Cut the onions into 1/2″ thick slices.
Gently separate the rings, making the slices into rings.
Beat the eggs into the buttermilk.
Mix the dry ingredients and place in a bowl or zip-top bag (which is what I do). First, dip the rings in the dry mixture and shake off excess. Then dip in the buttermilk mixture to coat, and back into the dry.
I battered up most of them before placing in the fryer. You can batter and drop or batter all of them and place on a baking sheet. I find it much easier to batter all of it before cooking.
Fry the onion rings in vegetable oil for about 3 minutes, turning halfway through until they’re golden brown. Oh so good! The batter is not too thick or heavy and is perfectly seasoned.
Enjoy with the copycat bloomin’ onion sauce. Honestly, homemade onion rings are easier than you think and they’re so much better at home than anyplace else. These are one of our favorite side dishes when we’re doing burgers on the grill.
Check out our Beer Battered Fish!
Onion Ring Buttermilk Batter Recipe
Buttermilk Battered Onion Rings
- 2 large Vidalia onions or sweet onions
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- oil for frying
- 1/3 cup mayo
- 2 Tablespoons sour cream
- 2 Tablespoons creamy horseradish sauce
- 1 Tablespoon ketchup
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
For the Sauce
- Mix all sauce ingredients together until combined. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
For the Onion Rings
- Slice each onion into 1/2 inch thick rings. Carefully separate the rings.
- In a medium-size bowl or zip bag, mix together the flour, garlic powder, paprika, salt & pepper.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and buttermilk.
- Heat the oil to 350 degrees, either in a deep fryer or in a heavy pot.
- Start by dipping the rings in the flour. Shake off the excess, and then dip the rings in the egg mixture. Return the rings to the flour mixture for final coating. Shake off the excess and place the rings in the oil. Do this process in batches. Avoid overcrowding the pan or fryer.
- Fry the rings for about three minutes, turning halfway through, until golden brown. Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon onto paper bag or paper towel lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with salt while still hot.