Herb potato salad is a creamy, fresh-tasting side dish made without mayonnaise! It’s a much lighter potato salad perfect for those summer barbecues.
Why You’ll Love This
The dressing is light and tangy made with olive oil, fresh lemon juice, and fresh herbs—a different twist on that classic mayo-based potato salad.
This is one of those side dishes that’s perfect any time of the year and with any meal. It’s super easy to make and so delicious they will keep coming back for more.
What’s even better about it is it’s dairy-free, gluten-free, egg-free, and even vegan! It will serve all your guest’s dietary requirements.
- Baby red potatoes – A low-starch potato is best in this recipe.
- Green onions – The French potato salad usually uses shallots but we like green onions for this salad.
- Fresh dill – Fresh is best here, it makes a much tastier dish.
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley – You can also use curly parsley, but Italian flat-leaf has much more flavor.
- Olive oil – Use a good quality.
- Fresh lemon juice – Please use fresh not bottled lemon juice.
- Whole grain dijon mustard – Gives a tangy pop of flavor.
- Kosher salt and black pepper – For flavor.
Tips and Variations
- Do not wait until the potatoes are cool; pouring the dressing over warm potatoes helps them absorb the flavor.
- You can also use new or baby Yukon gold potatoes.
- Try shallots instead of green onions. If you like a more onion flavor, use red onion instead.
- Switch up the herbs. Try tarragon, chives, thyme, fresh basil, or even mint.
- Toss in some diced celery for crunch.
How to Make Herbed Potato Salad
Clean and quarter the potatoes. The key here is to keep them all the same size so they cook simultaneously.
Add the potatoes to a large pot, and cover with water. Salt the water. Bring to a boil, and cook the potatoes until fork tender, about 10 – 15 minutes.
Drain the potatoes, then place them back in the hot pot. This helps evaporate any water remaining.
While the potatoes are cooking, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, mustard, dill, parsley, salt, and pepper in a measuring cup or small bowl.
Place the warm, drained potatoes in a large bowl. Add the diced green onions, drizzle the vinaigrette, and toss to coat evenly.
Serve this healthy potato salad warm or at room temperature.
Absolutely! This herb potato salad is best made ahead. The potatoes soak up the flavors and taste better over time.
You can make this salad up to 2 days in advance. You will want to bring it to room temperature before serving.
Covered tightly in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
More Side Dish Recipes
- Summer Succotash
- Baked Macaroni And Cheese
- Easy Twice Baked Potatoes Recipe
- Cauliflower Mock Potato Salad
- Deviled Potato Bites
Herb Potato Salad (no mayo) Recipe
- 3 lbs Baby red potatoes cleaned and quartered
- 3 Green onions green parts only
- 1/2 cup Olive oil
- 1/4 cup Fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Whole grain Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp Fresh dill minced
- 2 tbsp Fresh flat-leaf parsley minced
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper
- Add the potatoes to a large pot, and cover with water. Salt the water. Bring to a boil, and cook the potatoes until fork tender about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes then place them back in the hot pot. This helps evaporate any water remaining.
- While the potatoes are cooking, in a measuring cup or small bowl whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, mustard, dill, parsley, salt, and pepper.
- Place the warm drained potatoes in a large bowl. Add the diced green onions, drizzle the vinaigrette over and toss to coat evenly.