This Dill Pickle Cheese Ball will be a hit at any party or event! Cream cheese, sharp cheddar cheese, dill pickles, and loads of fresh dill.
Why You’ll Love This
This dill pickle cheese ball recipe is super easy to make!
It’s an easy appetizer or snack.
As with most cheese balls, it’s a great make-ahead appetizer.
This cheese ball is always a hit, so plan to make two for a large crowd.
See the recipe card at the bottom of this post for a full list of ingredients and instructions.
- Cream Cheese – This recipe uses two 8-ounce blocks of cream cheese. Use your favorite brand for the best flavor. Be sure the cream cheese is softened for easy mixing.
- Add-Ins – Sour cream, sharp cheddar cheese, and diced dill pickles.
- Seasonings – Dill pickle juice, garlic powder, fresh dill, green onions, kosher salt, and black pepper.
How to Make a Dill Pickle Cheese Ball
In a large bowl, using an electric hand mixer, beat the softened cream cheese, sour cream, pickle juice, garlic powder, and pepper for 2 minutes until it’s fluffy and smooth.
Stir in the shredded diced dill pickles, shredded cheddar cheese, and fresh chopped dill until fully incorporated.
Place two large sheets of plastic wrap overlapping on the counter. Turn out the cheese ball mixture into the center of the plastic wrap.
Bring the sides of the plastic wrap up around the cheese mixture to form a ball shape. Twist the top of the plastic wrap tightly, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours up to overnight.
When ready to serve, stir together the additional finely shredded cheddar, chopped fresh dill, and finely diced green onions. Place them on a plate or other flat surface.
Remove the plastic wrap from the dill pickle cheese ball and roll it in the toppings until the surface is completely covered.
Serve this Dill Pickle Cheese Ball with crackers, bagel chips, pita chips, pretzels, or sturdy potato chips.
It can also be served with veggies such as carrot sticks, celery sticks, bell pepper slices, or cucumbers.
This dill pickle cheese ball is also a great spread for sandwiches and wraps.
- Be sure the cream cheese is at room temperature for easy mixing.
- I love Mt. Olive Kosher Baby Dill Pickles, which is what I used for this recipe. Choose your favorite pickle brand.
- Using a plate to adhere the toppings is easiest, in my opinion. But you can roll it in a shallow bowl if desired.
- You can make this into individual servings. Don’t form the large ball. Instead, use a tablespoon scoop to form small balls. Refrigerate them for at least 1 hour. Then roll in the toppings and serve with a toothpick or pretzel stick.
Cheese balls are highly customizable. Try switching up some of the add-ins and/or toppings.
- You can use dill pickle relish instead of diced pickles, but there won’t be as much pickle crunch.
- Use spicy dill pickles for a spicier version.
- Add diced ham.
- Add some finely chopped nuts to the toppings, such as toasted pecans, almonds, or walnuts.
- Crispy crumbled bacon bits would also be a great addition.
I don’t recommend using dried dill for the best fresh dill flavor.
Yes. You can make it and refrigerate it without the toppings. Then when ready to serve, roll in the topping.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Yes, but I don’t recommend freezing this cheese ball. The cream cheese slightly changes texture, it can be a little mealy. Also, the liquids from the pickles separate from the cheese ball and leave a puddle of juices.
If you choose to freeze it wrap it tightly in a double layer of plastic wrap, place it in a freezer safe bag, and freeze for up to 1 month. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
More Cheese Appetizer Recipes
Dill Pickle Cheese Ball
- 16 oz Cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup Sour cream
- 1 tsp Pickle juice
- 1/2 tsp Garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper
- 1 cup Sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 1/4 cups Dill pickles diced small
- 2 tbsp Fresh dill minced
- 1 tbsp Fresh dill minced
- 3/4 cup Sharp cheddar cheese finely shredded
- 1/3 cup Green onions (tops only) finely diced
- Using an electric hand mixer beat the softened cream cheese, sour cream, pickle juice, garlic powder, and pepper for 2 minutes until it’s fluffy and smooth.16 oz Cream cheese, 1/4 cup Sour cream, 1/2 tsp Garlic powder, 1/2 tsp Black pepper, 1 tsp Pickle juice
- Stir in the shredded diced dill pickles, cheddar cheese, and fresh dill until fully incorporated. Season to taste with salt and additional pepper.1 cup Sharp cheddar cheese, 1 1/4 cups Dill pickles, 2 tbsp Fresh dill
- Lay two large sheets of plastic wrap overlapping on the counter. Turn out the cheese ball mixture into the center of the plastic wrap. Bring the sides of the plastic wrap up around the cheese ball mixture to form a ball shape. Twist the top of the plastic wrap tightly, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours up to overnight.
- When ready to serve stir together the additional finely shredded cheddar, chopped fresh dill, and finely diced green onions. Place them on a plate or other flat surface. Remove the plastic wrap from the dill pickle cheese ball and roll it in the toppings until the surface is completely covered.1 tbsp Fresh dill, 3/4 cup Sharp cheddar cheese, 1/3 cup Green onions (tops only)