This easy Vegetable Beef Soup recipe is one of those super easy and budget-friendly meals. So hearty, comforting, and yet healthy.
You can’t go wrong, right? It’s really as easy as you can get.
Make a batch of our Cheddar Jalapeno Cornbread, and everyone will be warm and happy.
Why You’ll Love This
- It’s made with affordable ground beef.
- It’s jam-packed with fabulous flavors!
- Adaptable to mixing and matching the vegetables.
- Great for meal prep and make ahead meals.
- Meat – We like to use lower fat ground beef but use your favorite grind of beef.
- Vegetables – This recipe uses the basic vegetable soup recipe veggies. Potatoes, carrots, green beans, corn, celery, and okra. Feel free to add or omit any vegetables you prefer or need to use before going bad.
- Seasonings – This soup is seasoned with onion, beef stock, tomato juice (or V8), salt, and black pepper. Simple ingredients that provide perfect flavor.
- When browning the beef be sure to get some good color on the meat. This adds flavor to the soup.
- When adding the liquids scrape the brown bits off the bottom of the pot. This also adds really good flavor.
- If you want to use frozen vegetables add them in with corn and beans and cook for about 15-20 minutes.
- If you like a thicker soup try stirring in a cornstarch slurry—about one tablespoon of cornstarch to equal parts water or broth.
How to Make Easy Homemade Vegetable Beef Soup
All you do is brown the ground beef, chop the veggies, and throw it all in a large pot.
In a large pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat brown the ground beef. Drain if needed. Add onions and saute for about 3 minutes.
Add the beef broth (or beef stock), tomato juice, potatoes, green beans, corn, carrots, celery, okra, salt, and pepper.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 30 minutes. Stupid easy, right?
You can certainly use stew meat or cubed chuck roast. But to make sure the meat comes out tender you will need to cook for at least another 20-30 minutes.
This is one of those recipes you can use vegetables that are lying around in your fridge or freezer. If you are like me you have half bags of frozen corn, okra, and peas in your freezer.
I didn’t have any field peas this time but you can mix and match to your taste. Some people don’t like okra. I think it adds a great flavor and it helps to thicken the soup.
Serve with this hamburger vegetable beef soup with crusty bread (or cornbread) and enjoy the warmth and comfort of this amazingly flavorful soup.
Absolutely! Brown the chuck roast/stew meat in small batches to get a nice brown coloring. Add the onion and cook for about 2 minutes. Add the broth and tomato juice. Simmer for about 45-65 minutes, until the meat is fork tender. Add the potatoes, carrots, and celery, and simmer for about 15-20 minutes more. Add the corn and beans and cook another 10 minutes.
We love this soup as written. But you can also add some fresh or dried herbs such as thyme, oregano, basil, or marjoram.
Let cool to room temperature, place in an air-tight container and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
Let cool to room temperature, place in a freeze-safe container or bag and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Keep in mind the texture of potatoes changes after freezing.
More Soup Recipes
Easy Homemade Vegetable Beef Soup Recipe
- 1 1/2 lb. ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cups beef stock
- 4 cups tomato juice
- 4 medium potatoes, diced
- 14 oz green beans (14-15 oz can)
- 1 cup frozen corn (or canned)
- 2-3 medium carrots, sliced
- 3 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups frozen okra
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- additional salt and pepper to taste
- In a large dutch oven brown the ground beef. Drain if needed. Add onions and saute for about 3 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 35-45 minutes.