This vegetarian burrito makes an easy meal for Meatless Mondays or any day for that matter.
It’s perfect for the busy weeknight meal when you’re too tired to cook. Even easier if you happen to have leftover rice in the fridge.
You must have those days when you just don’t feel like cooking a large meal. I know I do, maybe too many of them.
What You’ll Need
These burritos are so fresh and full of mouth-watering flavor! They were a huge hit with my family. So much so, that they have requested I put them in my rotation.
- Rice and beans – We use refried black beans and plain rice kicked up a notch for more flavor.
- Pico de Gallo – Homemade or store-bought work. The tomatoes, jalapenos, cilantro, lime juice, and onions add a ton of fresh flavor for a very satisfying bite.
- Avocados, cheese, and sour cream – These three ingredients give the burritos a creamy cool texture.
- You can use whole black beans or pinto beans. Or regular refried beans.
- You can use brown rice instead of white rice for a healthier version.
- Switch up the cheese flavor with pepper jack cheese or cotija cheese.
- Replace the pico de gallo with salsa, or use both.
- Choose a whole wheat tortilla for another little nutrition boost.
How to Make a Satisfying Vegetarian Burrito
Just add 1/4 cup cilantro, lime zest, and juice to the cooked rice and mix well. If it’s leftover rice reheat before adding cilantro and lime. Taste the rice and season with salt and pepper if needed.
For the Pico de Gallo add the diced tomatoes, red onion, jalapeno, lime juice, and cilantro to a bowl and mix to combine. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Warm the beans. I used a 15-ounce can of black beans because I prefer them over refried pinto beans (use whichever you prefer).
Warm tortillas just enough to make folding and rolling easier. You can do this in the microwave for about 10 to 12 seconds.
Lay a flour tortilla on a flat surface. Layer 1/4 of the beans, cheese, cilantro lime rice, avocado, and sour cream.
Add the Pico de Gallo and lettuce. Fold in the sides and roll tightly. Repeat with remaining tortillas and fillings.
That’s it and dinner is on the table!
Veggie burritos are all the rage in our house!
We store any leftover ingredients separately in air-tight containers in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. This way our daughter can just go to the fridge and make one for herself anytime she is ready.
Vegetarian Burrito Recipe
Cilantro Lime Rice
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoons lime zest
- 1 lime, juiced
Pico de Gallo
- 4 Roma tomatoes
- 1/4 cup red onion
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 4 large flour tortillas, large burrito size
- 15 oz black refried beans
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 avocados, thinly sliced
- 1 cup pico de gallo
- 1 1/2 cups lettuce, shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
- Chop the tomatoes, red onion, jalapeno, and cilantro. Add all ingredients to a bowl and mix to combine. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Warm rice, add cilantro, lime zest, and juice. Mix well.
- Warm the refried beans.
- Lay a tortilla on a flat surface. Layer 1/4 of the beans, cheese, rice, avocado, sour cream, pico de gallo and lettuce. Fold the two sides in and roll tightly. Repeat with remaining tortillas and fillings.
Recipe adapted from Mandy’s Recipe Box Blog