This vegetarian burrito makes an easy meal for Meatless Mondays or any day for that matter.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
It’s perfect for a busy weeknight meal when you’re too tired to cook. Even easier if you happen to have leftover rice in the fridge.
You must have those days when you don’t feel like cooking a large meal. I know I do, maybe too many of them.
That’s what makes these homemade burritos such a good idea. It can be prepared quickly, offering a delightful and delicious meal in no time.
You can also use this recipe to make a vegetarian burrito bowl. Just skip the tortilla. This is how we enjoy these but mix up the burrito filling to your personal tastes.
Also, this meal is vegan. So if you’re looking for a vegan burrito or vegan burrito bowl option that delivers all the flavors, give it a whirl.
Want to add a side or two to this burrito? Check out our Easy Homemade Fire Roasted Salsa (5 Minute) and Restaurant Style Queso Dip. Add some tortilla chips, and you’re good to go!
These burritos are so fresh and full of mouth-watering flavor! They were a huge hit with my family. So much so that they have requested I put them in our weekly meal rotation.
- Rice and beans – We use refried black beans, and plain rice kicked up a notch for more flavor.
- Pico de Gallo – Homemade or store-bought work. The tomatoes, jalapenos, cilantro, lime juice, and onions add a ton of fresh flavor for a very satisfying bite.
- Avocados, cheese, and sour cream – These three ingredients give the burritos a creamy cool texture.
How to Make a Satisfying Vegetarian Burrito
Just add 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, lime zest, and juice to the cooked rice and mix well. If it’s leftover rice, reheat before adding cilantro and lime.
Taste the rice and season with salt and pepper if needed.
For the Pico de Gallo, add the diced tomatoes, red onion, jalapeno, lime juice, and cilantro to a bowl and mix to combine. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Warm the beans. I used a 15-ounce can of black beans because I prefer them over refried pinto beans (use whichever you prefer).
Warm tortillas, just enough to make folding and rolling easier. You can do this in the microwave for about 10 to 12 seconds.
Lay a flour tortilla on a flat surface. Layer 1/4 of the beans, cheese, cilantro lime rice, avocado slices, and sour cream.
Add the Pico de Gallo and lettuce. Fold in the sides and roll tightly. Repeat with remaining tortillas and fillings.
That’s it, and dinner is on the table!
Veggie burritos are all the rage in our house!
Remember, you can mix and match ingredients to your tastes. The addition of bell peppers is a great option. We stick to the red bell pepper as it’s sweeter than its green counterpart.
Tips And Variations
- Storing the ingredients in an airtight container is a great way to streamline meal prep and make assembling tasty, easy burritos a snap. Your meal is ready to go in 2-3 minutes.
- You can use whole black beans, pinto beans, or regular refried beans.
- You can use brown rice instead of white rice for a healthier version.
- If you are not a fan of cilantro, use Spanish rice instead!
- Switch up the cheese flavor with pepper jack cheese or cotija cheese.
- Replace the pico de gallo with salsa, or use both.
- Choose whole wheat tortillas for another little nutrition boost.
- Adding a dash or two of garlic powder, chili powder, onion powder, and ground cumin to the beans will add some additional Tex-Mex flavor.
- Reduce the carbs by using cauliflower rice.
- Skip the tortilla and toss the ingredients in a bowl. A perfect veggie burrito bowl.
We store any leftover ingredients separately in air-tight containers in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. This way, our daughter can just go to the fridge and make one for herself anytime she is ready.
More Delicious Vegetarian Recipes
Vegetarian Burrito Recipe
Cilantro Lime Rice
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoons lime zest
- 1 lime, juiced
Pico de Gallo
- 4 Roma tomatoes
- 1/4 cup red onion
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 4 large flour tortillas, large burrito size
- 15 oz black refried beans
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 avocados, thinly sliced
- 1 cup pico de gallo
- 1 1/2 cups lettuce, shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
- Chop the tomatoes, red onion, jalapeno, lime juice, and cilantro. Add all ingredients to a bowl and mix to combine. Refrigerate until ready to use.1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, 4 Roma tomatoes, 1/4 cup red onion, 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely diced, 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Warm rice. Add cilantro, lime zest, and juice. Mix well.2 cups cooked rice, 1 teaspoons lime zest, 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped, 1 lime, juiced
- Warm the refried beans.15 oz black refried beans
- Lay a tortilla on a flat surface. Layer 1/4 of the beans, cheese, rice, avocado, sour cream, pico de gallo and lettuce. Fold the two sides in and roll tightly. Repeat with remaining tortillas and fillings.
Recipe adapted from Mandy’s Recipe Box Blog
These sound so full of flavour and super tasty! I love coriander (cilantro) it is definitely my favourite herb…if that is even a thing! #sharewithme xx
Thanks, Esther! I add extra cilantro to mine. 😉
Sounds lovely – I love vegetarian Mexican food! May well try this! #sharewithme
Thank you for stopping by!
This vegetarian burrito looks absolutely delicious. You have such fantastic pictures, they really jump off the page.
Thank you, Demetra!
Oh my goodness.. my weakness! Mexican! These look delicious and healthy. Definitely on my list to try.
Thank you, Kim!
Yum!! If I haven’t done it yet.. I would like to invite you to share your post over at Healthy Living Link Party, it goes live every Wednesdays, 5pm PST ( 7pm Central Time) until Sunday 7pm. Hope to see you there!
Thank you, Cristina!
Sounds absolutely wonderful! We eat a lot of meatless meals; I will be trying this. Pinned it!
Thank you, Mrs. T!
This looks like a great go-to for busy weeknights! Because I definitely have days where I don’t want to fuss much over dinner… and who doesn’t love a burrito?!
Thank you, Kathryn!
This looks so yum!! I always have leftover rice in the fridge, so this is perfect for my family!! Thanks for sharing with us at the Friday Funday Blog Hop! <3
Thank you, Lissette!
Yum! I love cilantro lime rice. I almost always get the vegetarian burritos at Chipotle and these remind me of those! Now I’m hungry! Stopping by from Friendship Friday. Hope you have a great weekend!
Looks yummy! Thanks for sharing at the Inspiration Spotlight party.Pinned & shared.
This looks amazing!!! We are always looking for a good vegetarian dish so this is totally up our street! Thanks for sharing 🙂
Thanks for submitting your recipe to the RTSTH community! It is scheduled to be published this week and will be a part of our social media sharing – and I also pinned it directly from your site as well. Feel free to submit any recipes you’d like shared with our readers! -Melanie|RTSTH
Thank you, Melanie!
Yum!!! These are right up my alley. I’m such a fan of burritos!
Some variation of this is on our table at least once a week. I’m digging the cilantro lime rice idea! Does it actually work better with leftover rice, or does it soak up more flavor if you add it just after cooking? I’m terrible at cooking rice, but I’ll give it a go for this. Looks yummy! 🙂
I find it to work about the same. I usually heat the rice before adding the cilantro and lime. Thanks for stopping by, Martie!
I would just love your Vegetarian Burrito! Thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and have a fantastic day!
Come Back Soon!
This looks delicious. I love any type of burrito! Thank you so much for linking up to Share With Me. I hope to see you again tomorrow for another great roundup! #sharewithme
Great idea to put cilantro lime rice in the burrito with the beans. I’m going to have to make these one of these Fridays during Lent. Thanks for sharing with Small Victories Sunday Linkup. Pinning to our linkup board and hope you found some great posts to visit this week!
Thank you, Tanya!
I’ve been wanting to make this lime rice! My husband loves rice in his burritos and I just never took the time to figure out how to make his favorite. Thanks for sharing! Thanks for linking up with the Delicious Dishes Recipe party!
This is perfect for Meatless Monday! Your Vegetarian Burrito looks so appealing and tasty. Sharing! Thank you for being a part of our Hearth and Soul Hop.
Thank you, April!