Queso Blanco, cheese dip, queso dip, cheese sauce, or whatever you prefer to call it. And so simple to make with very few ingredients. A great recipe for any party or gathering.
Queso dip is our go-to at our favorite Mexican restaurant. No need to go out; just make it at home.
Try our Ceviche!
White Queso Dip
You would think they used white cheddar, right? Nope! It just doesn’t melt right for a Queso dip and tends to be oily. So white American cheese to the rescue!
There is no cream cheese, Velveeta, or evaporated milk in this recipe!
In a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat add the white American cheese, 1/2 cup of milk, butter, green chilies, pickled jalapenos, cumin, garlic, and cayenne.
Warm gently until the cheese is melted and combined, stirring frequently. You made need to add another 1/4 cup of milk to achieve the desired consistency. ( we used a total of 3/4 cup)
This process takes some time so just be patient and stir often.
Check out our Street Tacos!
Ooey, gooey, delicious restaurant-style queso dip at home. Serve with tortilla chips and enjoy!
Who doesn’t love cheese dip? It’s great for game day parties or Tex Mex night in. Skip the pre-made grocery store stuff and make your own!
Try our Roasted Tomatillo Salsa Verde.
Homemade Queso Dip Recipe
Queso Dip Recipe
- 1 pound white American cheese
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup milk (maybe more if you want it thinner)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 oz green chilies (1 can)
- 3-4 pickled jalapeno peppers – chopped (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- Place all ingredients in a saucepan over low heat.1 pound white American cheese, 1/2 – 3/4 cup milk, 1 tablespoon butter, 4 oz green chilies, 3-4 pickled jalapeno peppers – chopped, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- Heat until melted – stirring frequently.
- Add more milk if you like it thinner.
- Serve immediately with chips.