Street tacos are AMAZING! If you have never eaten one, you must give this a try. My husband has raved about these for years. He wanted to try and make them ourselves. So easy. I mean, really, really easy!
When he lived in Imperial Beach, California, there were several times when he would cross the border into Tijuana specifically to get these tacos. He said that you could find a guy making these on almost every street corner.
From such simple ingredients comes an authentic taste that can’t be beaten. He actually dug up a pic from all those years ago:
If you are lucky enough to have a Hispanic market or grocery near you, it is a MUST that you purchase fresh corn tortillas. It makes a huge difference.
You cannot even compare fresh tortillas to prepacked store-purchased ones. Taco Tuesday Mexican food at its best!
What’s the difference between a street taco and a regular taco?
A street taco is a traditional Mexican taco that is served on a corn tortilla with meat, onions, and cilantro. Typically there is no cheese, tomatoes, or lettuce on Mexican street tacos.
What You’ll Need
- Flank steak – You can also use a skirt, round, or sirloin.
- Olive oil, orange juice, lime juice, cilantro, cumin, garlic cloves, salt, and black pepper
Try it using chicken breasts or chicken thighs. Just follow the recipe as instructed.
Authentic Mexican street tacos are served with a topping of freshly chopped onions, cilantro, and lime wedges.
But if you like, you can top them with the following suggestions.
- Fire Roasted Salsa
- Sour cream
- Fresh jalapeno
- Pico de gallo
- Cotija cheese
How to Make Carne Asada Street Tacos
Marinate the steak for a few hours: chop cilantro, onions, and lime wedges.
Place the flank steak in a large plastic storage bag
Mix olive oil, orange juice, lime juice, cilantro, garlic, cumin, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Pour the mixture over the meat in the bag and refrigerate for a few hours. (We marinated for 2 hours)
Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
Grill for 3-5 minutes per side. Place the tortillas on the grill during the last few minutes to lightly char them.
Remove cooked steak from the grill, and thinly slice against the grain.
Warm the tortillas and top with the onions and cilantro and serve.
Street Tacos Recipe
- 1 pound Flank or skirt steak
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 cup Orange juice
- 1 Lime, juiced
- 1 tablespoon Cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground Pepper
- 2 teaspoons Cumin
- 4 – 5 cloves Garlic, cracked
- Place the flank steak in a large plastic storage bag
- In a small bowl mix olive oil, orange juice, lime juice, cilantro, garlic, cumin, salt, and pepper. Pour over meat in the bag and refrigerate for few hours. (we marinated for 2 hours)
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Grill for 3-5 minutes per side. During the last few minutes, place the tortillas on the grill to lightly char them.
- Remove cooked steak from the grill, and thinly slice against the grain.