Mexican rice is so easily recreated right at home! You will wonder why you have never made it before now.
This Authentic Mexican rice was such hit with my family that I couldn’t even tell you how many times we have made it since.
This recipe is so easy and makes a perfect complimentary dish with any Mexican/Spanish entree.
We made this rice for our favorite Mexican chicken burrito bowls (recipe to come). But I have also served it with tacos and wrapped up in a burrito. Really it’s so flavorful you could serve this as a side dish with almost any entree.
Restaurant Style Mexican Rice
Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat.
Saute onion for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the white rice and saute until golden brown.
Add minced garlic, chicken stock, cumin, tomato sauce, salt, and pepper. (Make it vegetarian Mexican rice by using vegetable stock.)
You could add peas and carrots if you like. I personally pick them out at restaurants, so I leave them out when making this at home.
Cover, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for about 25 to 30 minutes.
Very few ingredients, very little time and you have perfect Mexican/Spanish rice! A few people in my home have been known to sit down with just a large bowl of this rice. Not me, of course!
Try our Homemade Roasted Tomatillo Salsa Verde recipe!
Mexican Rice Recipe
- 2 cups long-grain white rice
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/2 cup onion, diced small
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Heat oil in large frying pan over medium heat.
- Add onion and saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add rice and cook until golden brown.
- When rice is golden brown, add stock, tomato sauce, salt, garlic, cumin and pepper to pan.
- Stir and cover pan.
- Let simmer for 25 to 30 minutes. Until rice is cooked through.
More Delicious Recipes
Recipe adapted from lilluna.com