Slow cooker Mexican chicken is perfect for tacos, burritos, quesadillas, nachos, etc. It’s so easy to prep and cook that you will always make this.
Double the recipe and freeze part of it.
Why You’ll Love This
I find this slow cooker Mexican shredded chicken has so much more flavor than our usual favorite Mexican restaurant. As a matter of fact, I prefer this homemade chicken! Yay, money saved! Right?
If you’re looking for a chicken recipe that brings flavor, this is it!
You dump the chicken and remaining ingredients in the slow cooker and let it cook! I love these recipes (as if you haven’t noticed). It’s quick and easy to throw together.
- Chicken – Chicken breasts or chicken thighs both work in this recipe.
- Vegetables – Your favorite salsa, fire-roasted diced tomatoes, and chipotle peppers.
- Seasonings – Chili powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, brown sugar, cumin, onion powder, dry oregano, adobo sauce, salt, and pepper.
How to Make Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken (shredded)
Rub the boneless skinless chicken breasts with olive oil and place the chicken in the slow cooker. Feel free to use chicken thighs as well.
Add the salsa, brown sugars, green chilies, tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, oregano, adobo sauce, salt, and pepper to the crock pot.
Slow cook on high for 2-4 hours or on low for 6-7 hours or until the chicken is tender enough to shred. It’s best cooked on low.
Remove chicken to a cutting board, and allow to cool for about 5 minutes. (there will be liquid remaining in the slow cooker). Shred the chicken.
Return shredded cooked chicken and let cook on low for an additional 20 to 30 minutes to absorb some of the liquid/juices.
- This chicken is best cooked on low. But if you are pressed for time cook it on high for 2-4 hours.
- There will be some juices remaining in the chicken. You can strain it to remove some excess liquid.
- Instead of prepackaged taco seasoning or enchilada sauce, we made our own. This helps you control the salt and other ingredients.
- If you prefer a less spicy flavor reduce the adobo sauce and peppers.
Ways To Serve Up This Delicious Mexican Chicken
This super easy recipe was a big success for my family.
We used it in our Chicken Burrito Bowls. But there are many other ways to suit your tastes:
- Serve over cauliflower rice for a perfect keto meal.
- Chicken tacos using either flour or corn tortillas. Top with sour cream and cheddar cheese.
- Chicken quesadillas with your favorite cheeses.
- Chicken enchiladas are always a good choice.
- Chicken burritos with black beans and rice.
- You can even use this chicken in some flautas (rolled tacos). Delish!
This crockpot Mexican Chicken is so tender, juicy, and full of those fabulous Mexican flavors. Super easy and super delicious.
Yes, you can. Prepare the dish as instructed. Allow it to cool to room temperature, then store in the refrigerator until you’re ready to serve. Reheat the Mexican Chicken either back in the crockpot or saucepan over medium-low heat.
Yes. Allow cooling to room temperature. Place the Mexican Chicken in a freezer-safe ziplock bag. Lay it flat and remove as much air as possible. Store in the freezer. Remove the Mexican Chicken from the freezer and let it come to room temperature before reheating.
Other Mexican-Inspired Recipes
- Baked Chicken Chimichangas
- Mexican Rice
- Grilled Mexican Street Corn Salad
- Chicken Fajita Stew
- Cilantro Lime Rice
Spicy Shredded Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken Recipe
- 2 pounds chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup salsa (homemade or store-bought)
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 oz. mild green chilies (small can)
- 14.5 oz. diced fire-roasted tomatoes, drained (1 can)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce (decrease or omit for less spicy)
- 1 – 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, seeded and chopped
- Rub chicken breasts with oil and place in the bottom of your slow cooker.2 pounds chicken breasts, 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine seasonings.1/2 cup salsa, 3 tablespoons brown sugar, 4 oz. mild green chilies, 14.5 oz. diced fire-roasted tomatoes, drained, 1 tablespoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika, 1/2 teaspoon dry oregano, 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, 1 teaspoon adobo sauce, 1 – 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, seeded and chopped
- Cook on high for 2-4 hours or on low for 6-7 hours or until chicken is tender enough to shred.
- Remove chicken to a cutting board, and allow to cool about 5 minutes before shredding (there will be liquid remaining in the slow cooker).
- Return shredded chicken and let cook on low for an additional 20 minutes to absorb some of the liquid/juices.
- If you have excess liquid you can drain this off.
- Taste and add hot sauce to taste if desired.