Cilantro Lime Rice
Cilantro lime rice goes perfectly with any Mexican-inspired menu! A few simple ingredients take boring white rice to a new flavor-packed level.
A great side dish with pork, chicken, fish, or beef! This is our copycat version of the famous Chipotle rice recipe.
Why You’ll Love This
This cilantro lime rice recipe comes together in a snap! It is a fresh, bright tasting side dish that goes with just about anything.
Cilantro lime rice is naturally vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, and low fat!
- Rice – We use long grain white rice in this cilantro rice.
- Liquids – We use vegetable stock but you can certainly try chicken stock. Or even water.
- Seasonings – Fresh lime juice, lime zest, and fresh cilantro.
- Add some protein by tossing in a small can of black beans. Drain, rinse, and warm the beans.
- Use cauliflower rice to make it cilantro lime cauliflower rice. Cook the cauliflower rice and simply stir in the cilantro, lime juice, and lime zest.
How to Make Cilantro Lime Rice
Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
Saute the onion until it’s translucent. Add the long-grained rice, garlic, and salt. Saute until the rice becomes slightly translucent.
Stir in the vegetable stock, cover, and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to low and continue to simmer until water is absorbed for about 20 minutes.
Remove the cooked rice from heat and fluff. Stir in lime zest, fresh lime juice, and cilantro.
Sprinkle a little extra chopped cilantro on top to garnish if desired.
Cilantro Lime Rice Serving Suggestions
Serve and enjoy as a simple side dish with your favorite Mexican or Asian dinner.
Serve with a protein of your choice or as a side with tacos or burritos.
You can even use it in burritos, chimichangas, or burrito bowls. Use it to stuff poblanos or add it to stir fry!
Let the rice cool completely but don’t leave it at room temperature for more than 2 hours. Rice is known to be a breeding ground for bacteria due to moisture. Place the lime rice in an air-tight container, and store it in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Reheat the rice by adding a little bit of water and microwave using 30 second intervals until hot. Or on the stovetop, over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally until heated through.
Absolutely! Rice freezes well. Let it cool, place it in a freezer safe container or bag, and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
More Side Dish Recipes
- Ninja Foodi Mexican Pinto Beans (Charro Beans)
- Mexican Rice
- Grilled Mexican Street Corn Salad
- Homemade Roasted Tomatillo Salsa Verde Recipe
Cilantro Lime Rice Recipe
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup long grain white rice (dry)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups vegetable stock (or chicken stock, water)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Heat a large saute pan, or pot, with a lid over medium heat. Add oil, and onion. Cook over medium heat, until onion, starts to soften and becomes translucent.
- Add the rice, garlic, and salt. Saute until the rice becomes slightly translucent.
- Stir in the vegetable stock, cover and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and continue to simmer until water is absorbed about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- Fluff the rice. Stir in lime juice, lime zest, and chopped cilantro.Serve immediately.
Mexican is our favorite food. This rice sounds amazing! Need to make it for Taco Tuesday. ;-D
Holy cow this is awesome stuff! Great with fish, pork, chicken, whatever. I may have snuck some leftovers out to work for lunch; shhhhhh.
Dang, you guys rock!
Thanks so much!