Vegetarian lettuce wraps were a huge hit with my daughter. She use to always enjoy our chicken lettuce wraps, so when I made them for us I felt guilty she wouldn’t eat them.
I went on the search for a vegetarian version and this recipe was perfect! Actually, we all loved them. They taste just like PF Changs, I kid you not.
Try our Basil Tomato Soup!
These wraps are just as quick and easy to prepare as the chicken wraps. Super easy weeknight meal. Prepare the veggies and tofu.
In a small bowl, stir together the hoisin sauce, soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, sriracha, rice vinegar, and sesame oil. Set aside.
Heat the 2 teaspoons canola oil or olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Once the oil is hot, crumble in the tofu, breaking it into very small pieces as it cooks.
Saute the tofu for about 5 minutes. Add in the mushrooms and cook until all moisture has evaporated. Stir in the water chestnuts, garlic, red pepper flakes and half of the onions. Saute for another 1 minute or so.
Pour the sauce over and cook for another minute until bubbling.
Spoon into the lettuce leaves, top with shredded carrots and green onions, serve. You can also use butter lettuce or iceberg, your choice.
Try a little extra garnish of sesame seeds!
Check out our Vegetarian Hot and Sour Soup!
I’m not a vegetarian but I love these wraps and would make them over and over again. My daughter was in HEAVEN!
Such an easy vegetarian meal that would be a great recipe option for Meatless Mondays. Quick, easy, healthy and absolutely to die for!
Vegetarian Lettuce Wraps Recipe
Vegetarian Lettuce Wraps
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
- 1 tablespoon sriracha (or more if desired)
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 14 oz extra firm tofu (do not use silken)
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 8 ounces Cremini mushrooms, , finely chopped (Baby Bella)
- 8 oz water chestnuts, drained and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 4-5 green onions, finely sliced green tops, divided
- 8 large inner leaves romaine lettuce (from a romaine heart or butter lettuce leaves)
- 1/2 cup grated carrots
- In a small bowl, stir together the hoisin, soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, sriracha, rice vinegar, and sesame oil. Set aside.
- Press the tofu between paper towels to squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Refresh the paper towels and press again.
- Heat the 2 teaspoons canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high. Once the oil is hot, crumble in the tofu, breaking it into very small pieces as it cooks.
- Continue cooking for 5 minutes, then add the diced mushrooms. Continue cooking until any remaining tofu liquid cooks off and the tofu starts to turn golden, about 3 minutes more.
- Stir in the water chestnuts, garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes, and half of the green onions and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds more.
- Pour the sauce over the top of the mixture and stir to coat. Cook just until it’s bubbling and the sauce is warmed through, about 1 minute.
- Spoon the tofu mixture into individual lettuce leaves. Top with remaining green onions and grated carrots.
- Serve and enjoy!
Recipe inspired by WellPlated