Vegetarian Hot and Sour Soup
Hot and sour soup is our favorite when we go out for Chinese. It’s one of the easiest soups to make ever!
This soup can be tailored to fit your taste. My daughter has been a pescatarian for over a year now. Much to my dismay.
She was suffering from a head cold and requested Hot and Sour Soup.
If you use dried shiitake mushrooms be sure to soak them according to the package directions. We can never find fresh shiitakes in our area and very rarely dried. I finally found them at Sprout’s and snagged a few packages.
The most time-consuming part of this recipe is prepping the ingredients. The cooking time is only about 10 minutes.
Combine the vegetable stock (or vegetable broth), mushrooms, bamboo shoots, firm tofu, garlic, ginger, rice vinegar, sriracha (chili garlic sauce), soy sauce, and sugar in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
Bring to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
Mix in the cornstarch slurry, simmer until it thickens.
Slowly pour the eggs in while stirring constantly. Mix in the sesame oil, white pepper, and green onions, remove from heat.
Serve and enjoy this light and flavorful hot and sour soup.
Spice up your individual bowls with more sesame oil, sriracha and soy sauce. Some people in our house like it spicier than others. And I adore sesame oil, so I add extra to my bowl.
Another one of my daughter’s favorite soups is our Vegetable Dumpling Soup.
Vegetarian Hot and Sour Soup Recipe
Hot and Sour Soup
- 6 cups vegetable stock (or chicken stock)
- 1 ounce shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces Cremini mushrooms or button, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces bamboo shoots, drained and thinly sliced (1 can)
- 8 ounces firm tofu, drained and sliced into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sriracha
- 5 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch mixed with 2 tablespoons cold water
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seed oil
- 1 teaspoon white pepper (or black pepper)
- 4 green onions, diced (green tops only)
- Bring the stock, mushrooms, bamboo shoots, tofu, garlic, ginger, vinegar, sriracha and soy sauce to a boil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Mix in the cornstarch and water mixture and simmer until the soup thickens a little, about 2 minutes.
- Slowly pour in the beaten eggs in a thin stream while stirring the soup constantly.
- Mix in the sesame oil, white pepper, and green onions, remove from heat and enjoy!