This recipe for slow cooker corned beef delivers a moist, tender, flavor-packed piece of beef. So easy you just dump, set, and cook!
Why You’ll Love This
Slow cooker corned beef makes this meal easy and delicious at any time of the year. But since St. Patrick’s day is right around the corner, grab one on your next shopping trip and be prepared!
This crockpot corned beef recipe delivers a moist, tender, flavor-packed piece of beef brisket. So easy you just dump, set, and cook!
Toss in some cabbage for the famous corned beef and cabbage dish. It’s that easy!
- Corned Beef – This slow cooker corned beef recipe uses flat-cut corned beef, also known as corned beef brisket.
- Liquids – Guinness Stout and beef stock.
- Seasonings – You will be using the seasoning packet (pickling spice) that comes with the corned beef. Plus garlic, bay leaves, and black pepper.
I have made corned beef in the oven, and it’s great, but the ease of the slow cooker usually wins out.
Low and slow cooking is the method for beef brisket. It’s a tough cut of meat and needs to be cooked properly for tender, juicy results.
Always allow the meat to rest once cooked.
What is Corned Beef?
Corned beef is beef brisket that has been cured and brined. It usually comes already seasoned and/or with a seasoning packet.
There are two types of beef cut for corned beef brisket the flat cut and the point cut.
The flat is more readily available, tends to be leaner, and cuts more evenly. The point cut tends to be more marbled, less meat, and not uniform in size.
Brisket is a tough cut of meat and needs a low and slow cooking time to become tender and juicy.
If yours didn’t come seasoned, simply mix together 1/2 tsp mustard seeds, two bay leaves, eight allspice berries, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper.
How to Make Slow Cooker Corned Beef
Add the brined corned beef, fat side up, to the slow cooker or crock pot.
Sprinkle the spice packet, minced garlic, bay leaves, and pepper. Rub the spices around on top of the brisket.
Pour the beer and beef stock around the meat.
Set the slow cooker or crock pot to low and cook for 9 – 10 hours or until the internal temperature is 145 degrees F.
You can use a digital meat thermometer to test the temperature.
Gently remove the brisket to a cutting board or platter and tent it with aluminum foil. Let rest for at least 15 minutes.
Once rested, thinly slice against the grain or shred. You won’t believe how amazing and fork tender this comes out!
How to Serve
Serve with potatoes and carrots or steamed cabbage. See the tips below for adding these vegetables to the slow cooker.
Add a side of stone ground mustard.
You can also make some scrumptious Reuben sandwiches or any other sandwiches that tickle your fancy.
This tender meat will work however you decide to serve it.
And don’t worry about leftovers, either. If it doesn’t get wolfed down totally on the first day, there are always ways of finishing it off the next morning.
Use your leftover corned beef for a delicious corned beef hash. This is a great dish that’ll make for a great weekend!
- We highly recommend the Guinness stout beer, but if you prefer, you can use additional beef broth. Just add 12 ounces of beef stock plus the 1 cup of stock.
- Because the brine is salty, we don’t find adding salt to the slow cooker corned beef necessary.
- If you would like to add potatoes (quartered) and carrots (cut into 1″ pieces) do so after the first three hours of cooking. Don’t add at the very beginning. They can become mushy.
- If you would like to add cabbage, do so during the last 2 hours of cooking.
- Brisket has long fibrous strands, so after allowing the meat to rest, cut across the grain for serving. This is important for tender meat.
Let the corned beef cool to room temperature, place it in an air-tight container, and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
Place in a freezer-safe airtight container or bag and freeze for up to 2 months.
More Slow Cooker Recipes
Slow Cooker Corned Beef Recipe
- 3 lbs corned beef brisket
- 12 oz Guinness Stout
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper fresh ground
- Place the corned beef brisket (fat side up), in the slow cooker. Sprinkle the seasoning packet ( comes in the corned beef package), garlic, bay leaves, and pepper over the meat. Rub the seasonings gently over the top.3 lbs corned beef brisket, 2 cloves garlic, 2 bay leaves, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Pour the Guinness and beef stock into the slow cooker. Not over the meat.12 oz Guinness Stout, 1 cup beef stock
- Cover and cook on LOW for 9-10 hours.
- Gently remove the corned beef from the slow cooker to a cutting board or platter and tent with aluminum foil for 15 minutes.
- Slice against the grain and serve.