This slow cooker Chex Mix is the ultimate snacking pleasure. It’s crunchy, salty goodness by the handfuls! My daughter loves this Chex mix so much that we make it year-round.
Why You’ll Love This
A few weeks ago, our stove/range gave up the ghost. So I decided to try the slow cooker method. I honestly didn’t think it would be as crispy and delicious.
I was wrong! This slow cooker Chex mix recipe is super easy, as well.
No running to the oven to stir it constantly!
A healthy homemade snack, or it’s great for gift-giving.
You know the basic stuff in Chex Mix, right? Chex cereal, mixed nuts, pretzels, butter, seasoning salt, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, and onion powder.
We threw in some cheese crackers for fun.
How to Make Slow Cooker Chex Mix
The oven method requires you to stir the mix every 15 minutes. With this method, you only need to do it every hour.
This snack mix is so easy to make, as stated above. We make it year-round.
No need to turn the oven on or dirty baking sheets for this method.
Add the Chex cereal, pretzels, crackers, and peanuts to the bowl of a slow cooker.
In a small bowl, whisk the 1/2 cup of melted unsalted butter, 1/4 cup of Worcestershire sauce, one tablespoon of seasoning salt, one teaspoon of garlic powder, and 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder.
Slowly pour the sauce evenly over the cereal mixture. Toss to coat evenly.
Be sure to place paper towels under the crock pot lid to catch the condensation. You don’t want a soggy Chex Mix.
Allow it to cook on the low setting for 3 hours. Every hour stir the mix to prevent burning.
The best Chex mix recipe to have on hand during the holidays or bring a batch to those holiday parties!
- You can also make this in the oven. Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F. Place the seasoned mix in a large roasting pan or a couple of rimmed baking sheets. Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
- When I make it in the oven, I melt the butter in the roasting pan while the oven is preheating. Once melted, I stir the seasonings into the butter, then add the snack mix ingredients and toss to coat evenly.
- Be sure to place paper towels under the lid while it’s cooking. This will absorb any condensation and keep the Chex mix from getting wet and soggy.
- Crockpot Chex mix can burn, so stick to the recipe cooking time.
- You can customize this snack mix to your personal preferences. All one cereal flavor, oyster crackers, cheese crackers, bagel chips, goldfish crackers, corn nuts, sesame sticks, or Cheerios.
- You can make it spicy by adding one tablespoon of hot sauce to the butter mixture or 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
Absolutely! Crock pot Chex mix is one of the easiest methods. It’s easy prep work and makes a big batch!
Yes. You can also make this in the oven. Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F. Place the seasoned mix in a large roasting pan or a couple of rimmed baking sheets. Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
This snack mix keeps well for a good while. Store in an air-tight container or resealable bag at room temperature for up to 3 weeks.
Yes, store in a freezer-safe container or bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
More Snack Recipes
Slow Cooker Chex Mix Recipe
- 3 cups Rice Chex cereal
- 3 cups Corn Chex cereal
- 3 cups Wheat Chex cereal
- 1 cup pretzels
- 1 cup mixed nuts
- 1 cup cheese snack crackers (or whatever your prefer)
- 1/2 cup Unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Add cereal, pretzels, crackers, and mixed nuts (or peanuts) to the bowl of a slow cooker.3 cups Rice Chex cereal, 3 cups Corn Chex cereal, 3 cups Wheat Chex cereal, 1 cup pretzels, 1 cup mixed nuts, 1 cup cheese snack crackers
- In a small bowl mix the melted butter, seasoned salt, garlic powder, onion powder and Worcestershire sauce.1/2 cup Unsalted butter, melted, 1 tablespoon seasoned salt, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon onion powder, 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- Slowly pour the sauce evenly over the cereal mix. Toss to coat evenly.
- Place the paper towels on top of the slow cooker and then the lid, allow to cook on the low setting for 3 hours.
- Every hour stir the mix to prevent burning.