Chocolate covered pretzel rods are a super easy and fun treat to make and gift during the holidays.
Beautiful, edible, salty-sweet treats everyone loves!
Why pay those ridiculous prices at the store when you can make them yourself?
Chocolate Covered Pretzel Rods
How to make chocolate covered pretzel rods
Prep large baking sheet pans with wax or parchment paper.
Have your set-up ready to go before beginning to melt the chocolate. This will make things go much smoother and quicker.
So set up your workstation with all the sprinkles you are going to use, place colored melting candy (for the drizzle) in heavy-duty zip-top bags.
Melt the chocolate chips. The easiest way I have found is to use a tall, somewhat narrow glass. Measure a pretzel rod in several of your glasses to make sure it’s the size you need.
Place two cups (or as much as your chosen glass will hold) of semi-sweet chocolate chips and one tablespoon of vegetable shortening in the glass.
Microwave for 45 seconds, remove and stir vigorously with a rubber spatula. A rubber spatula makes it easy to scrape the sides of the glass down when stirring the chocolate.
If necessary, microwave at additional 10- to 15-second intervals, stirring just until morsels are melted.
DO NOT OVERHEAT. It’s very easy to burn the chocolate so you need to know your microwave and watch it carefully.
Dip the pretzel rods in the glass and tilt the glass as needed to cover as much of the pretzel as desired.
Let excess drip back into the glass and use the rim to remove any extra remaining.
Place on the prepared pan to set up.
If using sprinkles, you must sprinkle them before the chocolate starts to set or they won’t adhere to the pretzel.
Pretty, right? Chose your favorite, it’s endless!
If using different colored chocolate drizzle, you can dip all the pretzels first.
Then place about 1/2 cup of candy melts of each color in the heavy-duty zip-top bags. Microwave for about 20-25 seconds.
Squish the candy melts around in the bag until they are melted and smooth.
Snip a tiny cut in one corner of the bag and drizzle away.
Let the chocolate set and wrap however you like for gifts or store in an air-tight container for you and your family.
Easy, fun treats even the kids can help make. They will go crazy with the sprinkles or even love drizzling the colored candy melts over the tops.
Chocolate Covered Pretzel Rods Recipe
Chocolate Covered Pretzel Rods
- 1 (16-ounce) bag of pretzel rods
- 12 ounces chocolate chips semisweet, dark or white chocolate or candy melts
- 1-2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- Line two large baking sheets with wax or parchment paper.
- Set up your workstation with all the sprinkles you are going to use. Place about 1/2 cup of colored melting candy (for the drizzle) in heavy-duty zip-top bags.
- Microwave 2 cups of chocolate chips and vegetable shortening in a tall glass for 45 seconds. Stir. The morsels may retain some of their original shapes. If necessary, microwave for additional 10- to 15-second intervals, stirring just until morsels are melted.
- Dip the pretzel rods into melted chocolate, tilting the glass to easily cover as much of the pretzel as you want. Use the side and rim of the glass to remove excess. Place on prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle with sprinkles.
- Or microwave the candy melts in the zip-top bags for about 20-25 seconds, squish the candy around until melted and smooth. Cut a tiny cut corner from each of the bags and drizzle.
- Let set up. Store in an air-tight container.
Nutrition facts will depend on what type of chocolate and sprinkles you use. This is just an estimate.
We do our best to give you nutritional information as correct as possible. Please feel free to calculate for yourself.