Oh my, are these salted butterscotch pretzel cookies addictive! This recipe for white chocolate, butterscotch, and pretzel cookies is amazing and one of our favorite cookie recipes.
These cookies are the perfect combination of sweet and salty.
I made these while the house was empty and that was a mistake. I ate 3 before anyone arrived home. Ok, maybe 4 or 5.
You must give this recipe a try and see for yourself how fabulous they taste. These cookies are now a required snack for my daughter’s friends when they visit.
This is basically a chocolate chip cookie dough base that we’ve changed out the chips and added pretzels.
- All-purpose flour – As with most cookie recipes, all-purpose works best.
- Baking soda – This is the leavening agent for these cookies.
- Unsalted butter – If using salted butter make sure you either omit or use less salt in the recipe.
- Sugars – This recipe uses both granulated sugar and brown sugar. Brown sugar makes cookies bake up a little softer and adds a little molasses flavor.
- Egg and vanilla extract – Use a good quality pure vanilla extract, it does taste way better.
- Pretzels – Use salted pretzels and break them into pieces.
- White chocolate chips and butterscotch chips – I also use good quality baking chips.
- Flakey sea salt – For the top of the cookies to give them that salty-sweet flavor.
- As always measure your flour properly. Aerate the flour, spoon it into the measuring cup, and level off with the flat side of a knife.
- There is no need to chill this cookie dough. These cookies bake up perfectly with crispy edges and a soft chewy center.
- You can use pretzel twists, mini twists, or sticks. Make sure they are salted. But don’t use pretzel rods.
- Use room temperature butter and egg. Room temperature ingredients incorporate much better.
How to Make Butterscotch Pretzel Cookies
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large bowl, cream the room temperature butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar together with a mixer until light and fluffy. Mix in the egg and vanilla extract.
In a medium bowl mix the flour, baking soda, and salt. Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients until thoroughly combined.
Fold in the white chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, and pretzel pieces.
Use a tablespoon size cookie scoop to form the dough balls.
Place on a parchment-lined cookie sheet about 2″ apart. Press dough balls down just slightly and sprinkle with fine sea salt.
Bake for 15-18 minutes, until golden brown. Do not overbake.
Share and enjoy these Butterscotch Pretzel Chip Cookies! I dare you to eat just one.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes. You can make the dough balls and refrigerate them tightly covered with plastic wrap or in a resealable bag. When baking from the refrigerator you might need to add an additional 1-2 minutes of baking time.
You can also form the cookie dough balls, flash freeze them on a baking sheet in a single layer. Once frozen store in a freezer-safe air-tight container or zip lock bag. When baking from frozen you might need to add an additional 1-2 minutes of baking time.
Storage – Once cooled completely store at room temperature in an air-tight container or zip lock bag for up to 4 days.
Freezing – You can freeze the baked and cooled cookies in an air-tight freezer-safe container for 2-3 months.
Are you on Pinterest? Click the button below to save this recipe to one of your boards.
More Cookie Recipes
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Monster Cookies
- Salted Butterscotch Pretzel Brookies
Salted Butterscotch Pretzel Cookies Recipe
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup butterscotch chips
- 1/2 cup broken up pretzel pieces
- sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, cream butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar together with a mixer until well combined.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl mix the flour, salt, and baking soda.
- Add to wet ingredients until thoroughly combined.
- Gently stir in the white chocolate, butterscotch chips, and pretzels.
- With a tablespoon sized cookie scoop, form balls with the dough.
- Place onto parchment lined baking sheets 2″ apart.
- Press down on the dough rounds slightly and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake cookies for approximately 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. DO NOT OVER BAKE.(they will become hard)
- Let cool for 3 minutes before transferring to cooling rack.