These are the best chewy snickerdoodle cookies we have ever eaten! Slightly crisp edges, cinnamon sugar crackle top with a soft chewy center. That’s the classic Snickerdoodle cookie in a nutshell.
Everyone loves a Snickerdoodle, right? Well, I must confess I never thought they were all that. It’s a sugar cookie dipped in cinnamon sugar, right? This recipe converted me to a snickerdoodle fan.
You can bake them for yourself or share them at large gatherings and parties. Add this Snickerdoodle cookie to your holiday baking list. They’re so easy to make and always a big hit.
Try our Peanut Butter Balls!
The Best Chewy Snickerdoodle Cookie
How to make the best chewy Snickerdoodle cookies
Everyone knows the basics of cookie dough making, right?
Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
Whisk the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt together in a medium-size bowl and set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and 1 1/2 cups sugar together. Add the eggs and vanilla extract and mix to combine.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix well. Chill the dough ball for 1 hour.
Mix the cinnamon and 1/2 cup of granulated sugar together in a small bowl. Shape the dough into 1-inch balls and roll each one in the cinnamon-sugar mixture to cover completely.
Place at least 2 inches apart on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
Bake for 12-14 minutes, until golden brown. Rotate the pan in the oven halfway through the baking time, if needed.
Allow the cookies to cool for 3-4 minutes on the baking sheet. Then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
A few of these may or may not have made it into my mouth before completely cool.
Cinnamon-sugar coated crackle tops, slightly crisp edges, and a tender chewy middle make for the cookie of your dreams!!! I promise.
These cookies come highly recommended by my husband. He claims they are the “perfect snickerdoodle”.
A great recipe for those Christmas cookie trays!
Try our Italian Butterball Cookie recipe!
Easy Chewy Snickerdoodle Cookie Recipe
The Best Chewy Snickerdoodle Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- In a medium-size bowl whisk together the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt together. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl cream together the sugar and butter until light and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time and mix well. Add the vanilla and blend well.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix well. Chill for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees.
- Mix the sugar and cinnamon together in a small bowl. Shape the dough into 1-inch balls and roll in the cinnamon-sugar mixture to coat evenly. Place 2 inches apart on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, until golden. Rotate the pan in the oven halfway through the baking time, if needed.
- Allow the cookies to cool for 3-4 minutes on the baking sheet. Then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.