Classic shortbread cookies are a perfect holiday treat! This recipe is tender, buttery, flaky and a close copycat recipe for Walker’s Shortbread.
It’s so easy you will never purchase another plaid tin box again!
Just four ingredients that you should already have in your kitchen.
Try our Peanut Butter Balls!
Classic Shortbread Cookies
If you have never made shortbread before you will be extremely surprised how easy it is to whip up.
Whisk together the all purpose flour, powdered sugar (icing sugar), and salt in a bowl.
Just cream the room temperature unsalted butter until fluffy, slowly add the flour and sugar mixture, then beat until light and fluffy again.
Press dough into a parchment paper-lined 9×9 pan. Place a sheet of plastic wrap on the dough.
Refrigerate for about 20 minutes.
Preheat oven to 300 degrees F, with rack in the upper third.
Remove, cut the dough into your desired shapes and dock all over with a toothpick or wooden skewer.
Try our Pumpkin Muffins!
Bake for 1 hour, remove from pan and recut into previous shapes.
I went with the traditional “sticks” and it was a perfect size to have with my afternoon coffee.
Enjoy these butter shortbread cookies yourself or share with friends.
Check out our Chocolate Orange Shortbread Cookie!
Classic Shortbread Cookie Recipe
Classic Shortbread Cookies Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened to room temperature (2 sticks)
- Whisk together flour, sugar, and salt in a bowl.
- Place butter into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat on medium-high speed until fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes, scraping down sides of the bowl.
- Gradually add flour mixture; beat until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Press dough into a parchment paper lined 9×9 pan. Place a sheet of plastic wrap on the dough, refrigerate 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees, with rack in upper third.
- Remove plastic wrap. Cut dough into desired shapes with a knife. Using a toothpick or wooden skewer, prick all over at 1/4-inch intervals.
- Bake until golden brown and firm in the center, about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Remove pan to a wire rack.
- Recut shortbread into previous shapes; let cool completely.
- Remove using the parchment as handles and transfer shortbread to an airtight container.
Recipe inspired by MarthaStewart