Chocolate orange shortbread cookies melt in your mouth with their classic holiday flavor.
Tender, buttery, orange-flavored shortbread dipped in creamy decadent dark chocolate. Easy to make and perfect for cookie trays or gifting!
If you are a fan of Terry’s Chocolate Orange balls you are going to love the cookies!
Try our Peanut Butter Balls!
Chocolate Orange Shortbread Cookies
Whisk the all-purpose flour and salt together in a medium-size bowl, set aside.
Cream together the room temperature unsalted butter and confectioners’ sugar together. Add the orange zest and vanilla extract and beat until light and fluffy.
Add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
Press the shortbread dough into a ball, knead on a lightly floured surface until smooth.
Roll the dough into a log about 12″ long and 2″ in diameter. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours. I chill mine overnight it really helps bring out the orange flavor.
When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 325ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Slice the dough into 1/4″ pieces and place about 1″ apart on the baking sheet.
Bake the cookies until firm about 15-17 minutes. Cool completely.
Melt the dark chocolate according to package instructions. Dip each cookie halfway into the melted chocolate and place back on parchment paper to dry and set.
Store in an air-tight container or wrap for gift giving.
I dare you to eat just one! We failed this challenge in our house, sad but true.
Just look at all that orange zest…absolutely heavenly!
Try our Chocolate Orange Fudge.
Chocolate Orange Shortbread Cookie Recipe
Chocolate Orange Shortbread Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 2/3 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 medium orange zest about 2 tablespoons
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 10 oz Ghiradelli Dark Melting Wafers or chocolate of your choice
- In a medium-size bowl, whisk together the flour and salt and set aside for later.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, cream together the butter and confectioners’ sugar.
- Add the orange zest and vanilla. Beat until light and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl when needed.
- Reduce the mixer speed to and add the flour, mix until just combined.
- Press the dough into a ball.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead the dough until it is smooth.
- Roll the dough into a log about 12 inches long and 2 inches in diameter. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap, chill for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice the dough into 1/4 inch slices and place on the prepared baking sheet about 1 inch apart.
- Bake until firm 15-17 minutes.
- Cool completely on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
- Melt dark chocolate according to package instructions. Dip each cookie in dark chocolate, allowing excess to drip off and place on parchment paper to dry and set up.