One pan Spanish chicken and rice is a fabulous one-pan-meal. Crispy zesty chicken nestled in bold mouthwatering, flavorful rice. Once the chicken is marinated this dish is on the table in 30 minutes! So plan ahead and marinate the chicken in the morning. That’s the extent of the prep work for this recipe.
One Pan Spanish Chicken and Rice
In a small bowl combine the smoked paprika, garlic powder, salt, ground cumin, chili powder, and Italian seasoning.
Place the chicken thighs in a large bowl or zip-top bag, drizzle 2 tablespoons of olive oil and the juice from half a lemon evenly over the chicken, toss to coat. Sprinkle half of the seasoning mix over the thighs and rub on both sides. Cover and refrigerate to marinate for at least one hour (or more).
Heat a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Sear the chicken on both sides until browned, about 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
Add rice, broth, juice of remaining 1/2 lemon, and remaining seasoning mix. Stir to combine. Place the chicken on top of the rice, bring to a simmer and cook for 20-25 minutes until the liquid is absorbed, rice is tender and chicken is thoroughly cooked. Turn the oven broiler on and place the skillet into the oven to crisp the chicken, about 3-4 minutes.
Garnish with lemon slices and diced green onions if desired.
Serve immediately. We like to add an additional squeeze of lemon over the rice after cooking. It gives the dish a tasty little zing and brings out more flavor.
- 6 boneless chicken thighs (skin on)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 2 1/4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 lemons divided (some for garnish)
- 1/4 cup green onions diced for garnish
- Spanish seasoning mix:
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- In a small bowl whisk together all ingredients for the Spanish seasoning mix. Divide in half and set aside.
- Place chicken in a medium bowl. Drizzle with 1 1/2 tablespoons oil, then toss to coat well. Use half of the prepared seasoning mix to rub on both sides of each piece of chicken. Cover and refrigerate to marinate for at least 1 hour or more.
- Drizzle a large ovenproof skillet with remaining 1 tablespoon of oil and bring to medium heat. Sear chicken for 2-3 minutes on each side until browned. Transfer to a plate.
- Add rice, chicken broth, juice from 1/2 of the lemon, and remaining seasoning mix and stir to combine. Place the chicken on top of the rice. Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes until liquid is absorbed, rice is tender, and chicken is cooked through.
- Preheat the broiler of your oven, remove the lid from the skillet, place in the oven for 3-4 minutes to crisp the chicken.
- Garnish with lemon slices and chopped green onion, serve immediately.
More Delicious Recipes