One pan Spanish chicken and rice ( Arroz con Pollo) is a fabulous one-pan meal. Crispy zesty chicken nestled in bold mouthwatering, flavorful rice.
Why You’ll Love This
There are many one-pan chicken and rice recipes out there. But there is something about spicing it up.
It takes this fairly common family meal to a highly requested family meal every time.
It’s delicious, and it’s so easy to prepare.
A one pot meal that is sure to please everyone!
Once the chicken is marinated, this dish is on the table in 30 minutes! So plan ahead and marinate the chicken in the morning.
That’s the extent of the prep work for this recipe. It makes this a super-duper winner for families on the go.
It’s amazing how something so easy to make can also taste so good.
- Chicken – We use skin-on boneless chicken thighs. You can also use boneless chicken breasts.
- Seasonings – Smoked paprika, garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, Italian seasoning, kosher salt, and lemons.
- Liquids – Chicken broth and lemon juice.
- Rice – We use long-grain white rice for this Spanish chicken and rice.
How to Make One Pan Spanish Chicken And Rice
In a small bowl, combine the smoked paprika, garlic powder, salt, ground cumin, chili powder, and Italian seasoning.
Place the chicken thighs in a large bowl or zip-top bag. Drizzle two tablespoons of olive oil and the juice from half a lemon evenly over the chicken.
Toss to coat the chicken thoroughly.
Sprinkle half of the seasoning mix over the thighs and rub on both sides. Cover and refrigerate to marinate for at least one hour (preferably longer).
Heat a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat and add one tablespoon of olive oil. Sear the chicken on both sides until browned, about 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
Add rice, chicken broth, juice of remaining 1/2 lemon, and the remaining seasoning mix. Stir to combine. Add the chicken pieces on top of the rice and bring to a simmer.
Cook for 20-25 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed, the rice is tender, and the chicken is thoroughly cooked.
Turn the oven broiler on and place the skillet into the oven to crisp the chicken, about 3-4 minutes.
Garnish with lemon slices and diced green onions if desired. Season the chicken with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve immediately. We like to add an additional squeeze of lemon over the rice after cooking. It gives the dish a tasty little zing and brings out more flavor.
Our family loved this recipe, and we are sure your family will love it as well.
What Sides to Serve
We feel this is a hearty dish that stands on its own, but you can serve it with a simple green salad if you desire.
Tips and Variations
- You can use boneless skinless chicken breasts or even chicken legs. This rice bake is versatile. The cooking time should be the same but be sure to check the internal temperature with a digital thermometer. It should read 165 degrees F.
- For a spicier version, you could also throw some onion and garlic into the marinade. Perhaps some bell pepper and red pepper flakes as well.
- If you choose to use brown rice, cook it for an additional 15-20 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro or parsley instead of green onions.
- Add one teaspoon of coriander or a small saffron pinch for an additional flavor bump.
- Toss in some frozen peas, about 3/4 cup.
This Spanish rice dish is a Latin American dish that’s similar to paella. It traditionally consists of rice, onions, saffron, and many other vegetables. It literally translates to rice with chicken. There are many variations to this dish.
We like to use long-grain rice in these types of dishes. Short-grain rice tends to be too sticky.
Let any leftovers cool to room temperature, place them in an airtight container, and refrigerate for up to 3 days, or freeze for up to 3 months. When reheating, you may need to add a little extra chicken stock.
More Delicious Chicken Recipes
One Pan Spanish Chicken and Rice Recipe
- 6 boneless chicken thighs (skin on)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 2 1/4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 lemons divided (some for garnish)
- 1/4 cup green onions diced for garnish
Spanish Seasoning Mix
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- In a small bowl whisk together all ingredients for the Spanish seasoning mix. Divide in half and set aside.2 teaspoons smoked paprika, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 1 teaspoon chili powder, 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning, 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Place chicken in a medium bowl. Drizzle with 1 1/2 tablespoons oil, then toss to coat well. Use half of the prepared seasoning mix to rub on both sides of each piece of chicken. Cover and refrigerate to marinate for at least 1 hour or more.6 boneless chicken thighs, 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- Drizzle a large ovenproof skillet with remaining 1 tablespoon of oil and bring to medium heat. Sear chicken for 2-3 minutes on each side until browned. Transfer to a plate.
- Add rice, chicken broth, juice from 1/2 of the lemon, and remaining seasoning mix and stir to combine. Place the chicken on top of the rice. Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes until liquid is absorbed, rice is tender, and chicken is cooked through.1 cup uncooked white rice, 2 1/4 cups low sodium chicken broth, 2 lemons
- Preheat the broiler of your oven, remove the lid from the skillet, place in the oven for 3-4 minutes to crisp the chicken.
- Garnish with lemon slices and chopped green onion, serve immediately.1/4 cup green onions