Baked chicken and rice have been a staple in our house for years. It was shared with me by a mommy group friend, and I love how easy it is to make—no standing over a hot stove for this recipe.
It is one of those all-time favorite comfort foods. It’s a must in your meal rotation. Plus, it’s a budget-friendly dish. Win, win!
What You’ll Need
The ingredient list is fairly basic, nothing out of the ordinary. That’s what makes this recipe such a breeze to make. And it’s so good!
- Cream of chicken soup
- Cream of mushroom soup
- Cream of celery soup
- Water – You will need one soup can of water. You can also use chicken stock or chicken broth.
- Rice – Use long-grain white rice, jasmine, or basmati.
- Celery – Diced small.
- Chicken – Chicken tenders, chicken breasts, or boneless skinless chicken thighs
How to Make Creamy Chicken and Rice Bake
This is one of those ‘dump and go’ types of casseroles. Three cans of soup, one can of water, rice, and chicken. It’s an extra creamy, almost risotto-type texture.
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
Mix the cream of chicken soup, cream of mushroom soup, cream of celery soup, and water, then mix in the uncooked rice and celery. You can do the mixing in a bowl, or like me, just do it in the 9×13 baking dish.
Place the chicken on top of the rice mixture, and season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Place the butter on top of the chicken and bake for 2 hours or until the rice is tender. If you choose to cover with foil, remove it 30 minutes before the baking time is done.
You can use any boneless, skinless chicken pieces you like. Also, you can use more or less. It depends on how many you feed and how much chicken you need.
This feeds 3 of us with leftovers for lunch the next day. The butter adds flavor but also helps the chicken to brown a little.
I take the chicken out and shred or chop it up. It’s your preference.
This dish can easily be doubled for a crowd too.
Mix in the chicken or just serve alongside. Enjoy this easy dinner with a side salad, and call it done!
- Try adding in some chopped broccoli, peas, carrots, or mushrooms.
- Stir in some shredded cheddar cheese or Monterey Jack cheese.
No, the rice cooks in the moisture of the cream soups and water.
Yes, be sure the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
Store leftovers in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Reheat slowly in the microwave.
You can freeze the baked casserole tightly covered for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Reheat in the oven or the microwave. You may want to add a little extra water when reheating.
Baked Chicken and Rice Recipe
- 1 can Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 can Cream of Celery Soup
- 1 can Water soup can
- 1 cup Rice
- 2 stalks Celery diced
- 2 – 4 Boneless Chicken Breast or Tenders
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Mix all three soups with one soup can of water in a 9×13 pan.
- Add the rice and mix well.
- Place chicken on top of rice mixture.
- Place 1 – 2 pats of butter on each piece of chicken.
- Bake for 2 hours, uncovered.