One-pan chicken and dirty rice is a very tasty and easy dish. Add a little Cajun spice to your dinner tonight!
A one-pan meal is the way to go on a busy weeknight, right?
Spicy, creamy, delicious and ready in 30 minutes!
Try our Bread Pudding!
One Pan Chicken and Dirty Rice
Marinating the chicken thighs will lend more flavor to the dish. Trim extra fat and skin from the thighs. We also debone our chicken thighs. It just makes them way easier to eat. Place all the spices for the marinade in a small bowl and stir to combine.
Drizzle the chicken with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Rub the chicken to coat evenly with the oil, sprinkle the spice mixture over the chicken and rub to coat. Refrigerate for at least an hour (or more).
Heat a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Saute the andouille sausage until browned on both sides, transfer to a plate. Add the chicken thighs skin side down and brown on both sides until browned, about 2-3 minutes, transfer to a plate.
Lower the heat to medium-low add the onion, bell pepper, and celery. Saute for about 3-4 minutes, until softened. Add the garlic, saute about 1 minute.
Add the rice, chicken stock, Cajun seasoning, salt, and pepper. Stir and bring to a simmer. Place the chicken thighs and andouille sausage on top of the rice.
Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed, rice is tender, and chicken is cooked through.
You can use chicken breasts but the cooking time will vary.
Garnish with diced green onions and parsley.
Serve and enjoy this quick and flavorful One Pot Chicken and Dirty Rice!
One Pan Chicken and Dirty Rice Recipe
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- 8 oz andouille sausage, sliced into 1/4″ slices (2 small links)
- 6 bone-in skin on chicken thighs (deboned works great too)
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 small green bell pepper, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 2 1/4 cup chicken stock or broth
- 1 tsp Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- Diced green onions and/or fresh parsley for garnish
- Trim fat and extra skin from the chicken thighs place them in a large bowl. Combine all the spice ingredients for the marinade in a small bowl, mix together.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil over the chicken thighs, toss to coat. Sprinkle the seasoning mix over the chicken and toss to coat. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or more.
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to dutch oven and heat over medium-high heat. Brown andouille sausage on both sides, transfer to a plate.
- Add the chicken thighs to the pan, skin side down, and sear for 2-3 minutes per side until crispy and browned. Transfer chicken to the plate with the sausage.
- Lower heat to medium and add the onion, green pepper, and celery. Saute for about 2-3 minutes, until softened. Add the minced garlic and saute another minute.
- Add rice, chicken stock, Cajun seasoning, salt, and pepper. Stir, and bring to a simmer.
- Place the chicken thighs and sausage on top of the rice. Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes until liquid is absorbed, rice is tender, and chicken is cooked through.
- Garnish with sliced green onions and minced parsley if desired.