This Mixed Melon Fruit Salad is an incredibly refreshing combination of various juicy melons, tossed with a honey, lime, and mint dressing. Summer fruit at its finest!
Why You’ll Love This
Fresh cantaloupe, seedless watermelon, and honeydew melon are tossed with honey, lime juice, lime zest, and fresh mint that come together with bright, crisp, fresh flavors everyone will love.
Each melon contributes its own unique characteristics, resulting in a refreshing, juicy, and visually appealing dish that is perfect for summertime.
The fresh mint adds a cooling note that complements the natural sweetness of melons. The lime zest and juice add a bright and tangy zip.
This melon salad is perfect for a summer potluck, barbecue, snack, breakfast, light lunch, or side dish.
It’s easy to make and great use for leftover melons.
Just a few simple ingredients combined for one fantastically flavored fruit salad.
- Cantaloupe– Cantaloupe has warm orange flesh and a distinct sweet aroma.
- Watermelon – Choose a personal seedless watermelon. The bright red flesh of the watermelon provides a refreshing and crisp element to the salad. Its natural sweetness balances well with the other melons.
- Honeydew Melon – Honeydew melon has pale green flesh and a mild, subtly sweet flavor. It offers a delicate and smooth texture that complements the juiciness of the watermelon.
- Dressing – Honey, lime juice, lime zest, and fresh mint.
How to Choose Ripe Melons
- Watermelons – A sweet, juicy ripe watermelon will feel heavy and have a large yellow spot on one side. It should sound hollow when you knock on the watermelon.
- Honeydew Melons – A ripe honeydew should have more yellow skin than green. When pressing on the bottom, it should feel slightly soft.
- Cantaloupe – The skin should not be green. If it’s green, it’s not ripe. It should smell sweet and be firm but not rock-hard.
How to Cut Melons
Place the melon on a flat surface. With a sharp knife, slice the melon in half. Scoop out the seeds and pulp from the honeydew and cantaloupe.
Slice the end off, then place it cut side down, and slice off the skin from top to bottom.
Slice the melon into slabs, then dice it into cubes.
How to Make Mixed Melon Fruit Salad
Dice the melons into cubes about 1 inch in size to 1-1/2 inches. Place them in a large bowl and chill in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
Drain any liquid that has accumulated at the bottom of the bowl. Sprinkle the lime zest and fresh mint over the melons.
Whisk together the lime juice and honey in a small bowl or measuring cup. Pour over the melons and gently toss to coat evenly.
Serve this summer melon salad, and enjoy!
- You can use a melon baller to scoop out bite-sized melon balls instead of dicing the melons for this salad recipe. I just find it much easier to dice.
- Want a vegan version? Use agave instead of honey.
- Before squeezing the limes, roll them on the counter with the palm of your hand to help release the juice.
- Try placing the leftovers in a blender to make a delicious smoothie!
- Add some chopped fresh basil.
- Add your favorite berries, such as strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries.
- Toss in some salty feta cheese, red onion, and black pepper for a savory bite.
I don’t recommend making this ahead of time. Melons contain a lot of water that breaks the melon pieces down very quickly. But you can dice the melon, place it in an airtight container, and refrigerate it for up to a few hours before serving. Just be sure to drain the melon before adding the dressing when you are ready to serve.
This summer salad is best enjoyed immediately, but if you have leftovers you can place them in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. The melons will start to break down pretty quickly.
More Summer BBQ Salad Recipes
Mixed Melon Fruit Salad
- 1/2 large Honeydew melon
- 1/2 large Cantaloupe
- 1/2 large Personal size seedless watermelon
- 1 tsp Lime zest zest one large lime
- 1/3 cup Fresh mint about 3-4 sprigs
- 3 tbsp Lime juice about one large lime
- 2 tbsp Honey or agava
- Dice the melons into 1-inch cubes. Place them in a large mixing bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour.1/2 large Honeydew melon, 1/2 large Cantaloupe, 1/2 large Personal size seedless watermelon
- When ready to serve drain any excess liquid from the mixing bowl. Sprinkle the fresh mint and lime zest over the melons.1 tsp Lime zest, 1/3 cup Fresh mint
- In a measuring cup or small bowl whisk together the lime juice and honey.3 tbsp Lime juice, 2 tbsp Honey
- Drizzle the dressing over the fruit and toss gently until evenly coated.
- Serve immediately.