Tangy southern mustard coleslaw is not your traditional creamy mayo dressed coleslaw.
A complex flavor that’s tangy, creamy, slightly sweet and spicy. Which makes it perfect for pulled pork or even better…slaw dogs!
This is our take of Big Bob Gibson’s coleslaw recipe.
Tangy Southern Mustard Coleslaw
How to make Tangy Southern Mustard Coleslaw
Shred the vegetables in a food processor or cut by hand.
Combine the green cabbage, purple cabbage, onion, bell pepper, carrot, and celery in a large bowl and mix well.
In a medium-size bowl whisk together the apple cider vinegar, yellow prepared mustard, ketchup, sour cream, mayonnaise, salt, and cayenne pepper.
Feel free to add more cayenne pepper if you prefer a spicier kick.
Pour the dressing over the vegetable mixture and stir to coat evenly.
Cover and chill for at least 1 hour.
Serve this Tangy Southern Mustard Coleslaw as a side dish or top pulled pork sandwiches or hot dogs at your next summer barbecue! It’s great for potlucks.
Mustard Coleslaw Recipe
Tangy Southern Mustard Coleslaw Recipe
- 6 cups green cabbage shredded
- 2 cups purple cabbage shredded
- 1/2 cup white onion shredded
- 1 cup red bell pepper diced small (or bell pepper of your choice)
- 1/3 cup carrot shredded
- 1/4 cup celery shredded
- 6 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 6 tablespoons yellow prepared mustard
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or more if desired)
- Combine the green cabbage, purple cabbage, onion, bell pepper, carrot, and celery in a large bowl and mix well.
- In a medium-size bowl, whisk together the apple cider vinegar, yellow prepared mustard, ketchup, sour cream, mayonnaise, salt, and cayenne pepper until smooth.
- Pour the dressing over cabbage mixture and stir to coat evenly.
- Chill at least 1 hour and serve.