30 minute Swedish meatballs can be on the table in a jiffy and quintessential comfort food. A great recipe for a busy weeknight meal.
Homemade meatballs smothered in a rich, creamy, flavor-packed gravy. Serve over noodles, mashed potatoes, or rice with a side salad and call it a meal. You can’t go wrong.
Try our Strawberry Shortcake for dessert!
In a large bowl mix the ground beef, onions, bread crumbs, buttermilk, egg, parsley, salt, black pepper, allspice, nutmeg, and garlic powder together until just combined. DO NOT OVERMIX.
Roll the meatball mixture into balls.
Preheat a large skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter. Add the meatballs and cook turning continuously until lightly browned on each side and cooked through. Transfer to a plate and cover loosely with foil.
Swedish Meatballs Sauce
Add butter to the pan, sprinkle in the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes.
Slowly pour in the beef broth while you whisk continuously, add the sour cream, mustard and Worcestershire sauce.
Bring to a simmer, allow the sauce to thicken to desired consistency, about 5-10 minutes.
Return the meatballs to the pan when the sauce has almost reached the desired thickness and reheat for about 4-5 minutes.
Serve this easy Swedish Meatballs recipe over egg noodles or rice.
This is one of those recipes you will make all the time. Super easy and so delicious.
30 Minute Swedish Meatballs
- 1 1/4 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup onion, finely diced
- 1/3 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup buttermilk or regular milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 3/4 cup beef stock
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
- Mix the ground beef, onions, bread crumbs, buttermilk, egg, parsley, salt, pepper, nutmeg, allspice and garlic powder together until just combined. DO NOT OVER MIX.
- Shape into about 25-30 meatballs. (I use a 1 1/2″ cookie scoop.)
- Preheat a large skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter. Add the meatballs and cook turning continuously until brown on each side and cooked through. Transfer to a plate and cover loosely with foil.
- Add 3 tablespoons butter to skillet, once melted add the 2 tablespoons of flour, whisk and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in beef broth.
- Lower the heat and add the sour cream, whisk until incorporated.
- Add Worcestershire sauce and mustard and bring to a simmer until sauce starts to thicken. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the meatballs back to the skillet and simmer for another 1-2 minutes.
- Serve over egg noodles or rice.
Recipe inspired by ArtandtheKitchen