Strawberry shortcake is a must have during the spring and summer months. A fluffy cake layered with strawberries and topped with whipped cream!
It’s not too sweet and perfectly light. I absolutely despise hot weather so desserts like this almost make the summer heat bearable. Almost.
So if you’re looking for an easy way to make strawberry shortcake from scratch, look no further. This recipe is quick and easy, and so cool and delicious.
Try our No-Bake Samoa Cake recipe!
Easy Strawberry Shortcake Video
How to Make Strawberry Shortcake from Scratch
Making strawberry shortcake from scratch is much easier than you think.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Prepare a 9 x 13-inch cake pan with parchment paper as handles and baking spray; set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
In a large bowl, cream together the butter and 1 1/3 cup of granulated sugar. Add eggs and vanilla extract beat well. With the mixer on low speed, slowly alternate between adding dry ingredients and milk.
Pour the sponge cake batter into greased baking pan and bake for 20-25 minutes. Until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Cool on a wire rack.
Check out our Bread Pudding recipe!
Wash and cut up the strawberries. Place in a saucepan with 1/4 cup granulated sugar and heat gently until the sugar dissolves. Remove from heat.
Once the cake is completely cooled, remove it from the pan. This part can be tricky. I ended up slicing the cake in half vertically and then in half horizontally.
Place the bottom half of the cake back into the pan with the cut side up. Spread half of the strawberries with syrup over the cake.
Try our Peanut Butter Balls!
Then spread half of the whipped cream topping over the strawberry layer and repeat with the top half of the cake. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
You can also make your own whipped topping. Whip 1 1/2 cups of whipping cream, 3 tablespoons powdered sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract until soft peaks form.
Summer desserts have never been easier. Give this one a try and your friends and family will ask for it again and again.
Enjoy this dessert with friends and family! It’s perfect for summer barbecues.
Need an easy Fresh Strawberry Pie recipe?
Strawberry Shortcake Recipe From Scratch
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 large egg
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup milk
Topping and middle layer:
- 16 ounces Whipped cream topping
Strawberry filling layers:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 pounds fresh strawberries, sliced (reserve a few for decoration if you like)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with parchment paper as handles and baking spray; set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the salt, flour, baking powder and whisk; set aside.
- In the bowl of a mixer, cream together butter and 1 1/3 cup of sugar.
- Add eggs and vanilla extract and beat well.
- With the mixer on low speed, slowly alternate between adding dry ingredients and milk.
- Pour mixture into greased baking pan and bake for 20-25 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- Place sliced strawberries and 1/4 cup of sugar in a medium saucepan over medium heat and stir gently until the sugar is dissolved. Take off heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- Once the cake is cooled completely, remove it from the pan using the parchment handles. Slice in half vertically then again in half horizontally. Place the bottom half back into the baking pan with the cut side up.
- Spread half of the strawberries with syrup evenly over the cake, then spread half of the whipped cream topping over the strawberries. Repeat with the top half of the cake. Finish with the remaining whipped cream topping and decorate with reserved strawberries, if desired.
- Refrigerate for about 2 hours before serving.