Slow cooker red beans and rice is so full of Cajun flavor and so easy to prepare! We make this recipe at least once a month. The whole family loves this stuff.
Eight ingredients, chopped, dumped, and cooked for hours. This is perfect to start in the morning before work or on a busy day and just forget it until dinner.
How easy is that? Who doesn’t need an easy slow cooker recipe every now and then?
Why You’ll Love this Recipe
- It’s a time saver! No worrying about having to prepare dinner once you arrive home.
- Simple pantry and kitchen ingredients make it easy to throw together.
- It makes a large batch to serve 8 people. This means leftovers for the family of four.
Tips and Variations
- We used Andouille sausage in this recipe but smoked sausage works too.
- You can use small or large red kidney beans. The cooking time might vary between the two sizes so check the tenderness of the beans at about 5-6 hours of cooking time.
- Make sure you cook on HIGH to ensure the beans are cooked in time.
- There is no need to soak the beans overnight.
- You can also replace some of the water with chicken broth or chicken stock.
- Want it even spicier? Add some hot sauce or cayenne pepper.
How to Make Slow Cooker Red Beans and Rice
Rinse beans thoroughly and put them into a crockpot.
Chop the sausage, onion, celery, and bell pepper. Place the red beans, all the vegetables, sausage, bay leaves, creole seasoning, and 7 cups of water or chicken stock in the slow cooker, give it a stir.
Cook for 7 hours on high or until the beans are tender. If it’s not thick enough remove the lid for an hour.
What to Serve with this Dish
Serve over cooked rice.
Red beans and rice is very filling on their own, but we like to serve them with cornbread.
Slow Cooker Red Beans and Rice Recipe
- 1 lb dried red beans
- 7 cups water
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds Andouille sausage, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons Creole Seasoning
- Rinse beans thoroughly and put into crock pot.
- Add vegetables, sausage, creole seasoning, bay leaves, and water to the beans.
- Cook on high for about 7 hours. If you would like it thicker remove the lid and cook another 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- When ready to serve, cook rice according to the package.
- Place the desired amount of red beans in the bowl, top with rice and serve.